2012 TrackChaser Report #47--Waterford Raceway, Ireland

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012

      Greetings from the Dublin Airport. After Pam finished her conference at the University College of Cork, we returned to touring and racing in Ireland on the weekend.

      On Saturday we visited the Blarney Castle and the infamous Blarney Stone. We had hoped for an autograss race from the Mallow Autograss Club, but neither Roland nor I ever did figure out exactly in which town it was supposed to be or even if the meeting was on or canceled, so we didn't do that.

      On Sunday Pam and I did finally add a new country to our TrackChasing resumes. As we left Cork for the last time and headed north towards Dublin, we made a slight detour for the Sunday races at the Waterford Raceway. Will has Waterford listed as a paved oval on ARR, but this one stretches the bounds of the definition of oval track to the limit. After seeing it, I would probably consider it a road circuit, but for now I'll stick with Will's ruling to keep consistent with ARR. I did take pictures of the track which I will send to will and perhaps he will decide to reclassify the track. If he does, I'll change it on RTR to remain consistent. My guess is that it will remain catagorized as an oval with a note as to its shape, as did Mothar Mountain in Queensland, Australia after I also sent Will photos for analysis.

      The track website said the meeting started at 12:00 noon, sharp! We found that this was not the case at all. We arrived quite early, before 11:00. Unlike the NI tracks visited last week, there was no program with a schedule of events. Roland visited the sign-in building to inquire, but they said they wait to see how many cars show up before deciding on the race schedule. Oh dear. We were in the southeast, but that was the southeast of Ireland, not the US where this type of confusion is the norm. The website also advertised Demo Derby, Drifting, Van Racing, and Caravan Racing, but I saw no signs of any cars for that.

      There were seven or eight classes on hand. They were rather blandly named Class 1 through Class 6, as well as Juniors. There was only one entry in the Ladies class, so she ran with the Class 1. Some other classes were combined, which was a good thing. There were a pair of races for each grouping of classes with all cars in the class competing in both. The track itself is very challenging. It's 0.3 miles in length and paved, with some interesting elevation changes. There are a couple of turns in the frontstretch, and they go downhill into the very tight first turn. Other than the top Class 5 and 6 cars, the others hop and even lift the right rear when going through that turn.

      If they would have started sharply at noon, we could have seen the racing in dry weather, as all the warmups were run in sunshine. But they were not ready to go until 12:30, then spent ten minutes more trying to find all the corner officials, resulting in a 40 minute late start, the latest of our trip. By then it was raining. Class 1 raced alone with eight cars, including one of the greatest names in oval track racing: Arkaduisz Konieczuy. Not many drivers that I have seen can boast of a "Z" in both names. Class 2 and 3 ran together with nine cars. Class 4-6 was originally announced as racing together, but at the last minute they split Class 4 off on their own and they had 4 cars. Class 5 and 6 were combined. These were the top cars, the ones usually called Hot Rods. They had seven cars. The Junior 1 class had nine. There were a total of 32 cars in the pits, but some cars were used in both the class races and the junior races with different drivers.

      Once the races began, they moved the program along very quickly. Once again there was no seating, but there was a dirt mound all the way along the frontstretch for viewing. There were not many spectators on hand. I found two really good spots to watch. By standing in the last turn you could see the entire track better than from anywhere else, although the high infield still block the view a bit. And by standing down in turn one you could see the best turn really well, and also see them coming down the "road course" part on the frontstretch really well, although there were other parts of the track that could not be seen as well as from higher up by the last turn.

      Overall, I liked the track and the racing a lot, although they didn't have a large number of cars and were a little laid back in the organization, at least until they got started (or was it because it started raining?). It was great to see racing in my 19th different country. For Pam, it was her 17th different country as she did not go to the races with Will and I in Jamaica, and she did not go with Will and I to Mexico at all. Pam did point out that for the first race in 12 of her 17 different countries, we were with Roland, and that she had seen racing with Roland in three additional countries as well for a total of 15 of her 17, all except Australia and New Zealand. Overall, a delightful little speedway.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2012 Summary

      2012 Events--Guy 47 / Pam 26
      2012 New Tracks--Guy 30 / Pam 24
      2012 Total Tracks--Guy 47 / Pam 26
      2012 Additional Non Classified Tracks--Guy 6 /

    • colin herridge
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
        Guy,
        when did we start splitting great britain up into different countries ?
        colin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
          Colin:

          I am always more than happy to try to answer your questions, but I don't understand what you are asking me on this one? Please clarify and maybe I can help you.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
            Guy,
            i thought it was clear enough but i will try and break it down you claimed your 19th and Pams 17th country by seeing a track in Eire but Great Britain that is England,Scotland,Wales,N.Ireland and Eire all count as 1 country unless i have misunderstood the rules.
            Colin

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
              Not sure about you Colin, but I live in England!

              In my view England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are different
              countries.

              Colin Casserley,
              Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England :-)

[...]

            • Vanden Eynde Roland
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                Colin,

                I know some Brits have never really gotten over the fact the Republic of
                Ireland is independent but I've seldom heard such ridiculous idiocies
                about it as your post. The republic of Ireland is a sovereign state,
                member of the United Nations, the European Union and the Euro zone.
                It's capital city is Dublin. it has a land boarder with Northern Ireland
                (sometimes also known as Ulster), a part of the United Kingdom.

                Before you try to insinuate another time that people are claiming
                countries that don't exist, it might be better to look some facts up.
                Otherwise you just will carry on making a fool of yourself.

                Roland

                From: colin herridge <cawh2000@...
[...]

                <mailto:TrackChasers-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

                <mailto:TrackChasers-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

                <mailto:TrackChasers-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

                Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

              • colin herridge
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                  Sorry to have rattled some cages but the ruling as i understand it made by Will White was that the whole of Great Britain counts as 1 country .
                  As Mr Casserley rightly points out we live in England and are proud to do so and consider the rest of GB to be foreign so don't you be foolish Roland read the rules.
                  end of

                  Colin

                  ________________________________

                  From: colin herridge <cawh2000@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012

                    Easy boys. Remember not to lose site that this is a group for friends who share a similar hobby. Here is a complete explanation of how TrackChasers does and always has counted countries.

                    From the beginning of the group until the present, we have used the United Nations list of countries to determine what is an independent country. Currently, the United Nations has 193 member states. Many people consider the actual total of countries of the world to be 196 (the politically motivated US government currently considers there to be 195), as there are three other independent countries that are not UN nations. They are Kosovo, Taiwan, and Vatican City. For TrackChasing purposes, the additional three countries are moot at this point anyway, as no one has seen a race in them. Don't hold your breath for a Champ Kart race in Saint Peter's Square!

                    Will felt, and I continue to feel, that using the UN country list makes the most sense in maintaining fairness and consistency in counting countries. As we have seen, Colin C. would take a more liberal view and considers England, Scotland and Wales to be all separate countries; whill Colin H. takes a far narrower view and has still not granted Ireland independence (an email from Will yesterday good-naturedly referred to him as an "imperialist") even though they have been independent for nearly a century.

                    Great Britain is an island. Politically, it is comprised of the territories that make up England, Scotland, and Wales. Great Britain is not a country.

                    The official United Nations country name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". It has been called that since 1927. It includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It also includes three Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man) and 14 Overseas Territories. Any tracks visited in any of those areas would be considered to be part of one country, the United Kingdom.

                    Ireland is an island as well. Politically, it is comprised of the independent country The Republic of Ireland and the Northern Ireland region of the United Kingdom.

                    Ireland is an independent member state of the United Nations, and has been so since 1955. Northern Ireland was formed in 1921 as part of the UK. The Irish Free State was formed in 1922, and in 1937 adopted a constitution which replaced the Irish Free State with the country of Ireland. In 1949, the Republic of Ireland Act abolished all ties with the British Monarch in the government of the Irish state. As Roland pointed out, there are many ways that make it clear that the Republic of Ireland is an independent country, separate from the United Kingdom. A good personal example is that the Burger King we visited just miles across the border into Ireland would not accept British Pounds as currency, only Euros.

                    Colin, you are incorrect about the previous ruling by Will. You must have missed it when Roland Vanden Eynde (five times), Spike Rixon (three times), Randy Lewis (two times--tracks since voluntarily deleted), Peter Burge (two times), Linda Rixon (one time), Will White (one time), Alan Skinrood (one time), and a couple of the project drivers were credited with tracks in the country of Ireland separate from the United Kingdom. Considering Ireland as a new country now is completely consistent with the accepted world political history and also with the TrackChaser group when Will was statistician. Pam and I thank you for so closely following our racing travels, and congratulate you on your new track in England. I will be most pleased to add it to your track list today or tomorrow. Please don't hesitate to ask if there are any other questions you have that I may help you to clarify.

                    Thanks,

                  • Colin Casserley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Just thinking.... if there wasn't a declaration on this day in 1776,
                      then all tracks in USA could possible still be classed as Great Britain!

                      Only joking,, and Happy Independence day to all my American friends

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Another bloody "imperialist"! :)

                        Thanks, Colin!!!

                        Guy & Pam