2012 TrackChaser Report #21--Mountain, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2012

      On Sunday it was a tough decision between Paul's house for the Eastern Auto Racing Historical Society open house, and Mountain Speedway. The fact that the ATQMRA Three Quarter Midgets were added to the Mountain card tipped the scale in favor of some actual racing. I'm sure the open house was a success and a good time. As it was a sunny afternoon, Pam decided to join me. TrackChaser Dwight Bucks was also on hand, blaming his Saturday absence from Borger's on mandatory overtime at work.

      The show at Mountain was the "B" program, which consists of Sports Modifieds, Late Models, and Factory Stocks. Added attractions were the ATQMRA TQ Midgets, INEX Legends, and INEX Bandoleros. Admission was $12. The scheduled 2:00 start was missed by 20 minutes.

      I've been attending races at this track for over 30 years, and the track itself has not changed. In fact, very little has changed here except moving the seating from the hillside to small grandstands closer to the track. A decent crowd was on hand on a bit of a chilly afternoon.

      The TQ car count was shockingly disappointing at ten. I've been going to see this club race for over 35 years, and that is the smallest turnout I have ever seen with them. It's not like the other classes had great fields either, with 8 Late Models and 14 Sports Mods. The top car count went to the Legends, with 18.

      With small fields, the heats went quickly as none had more than seven cars and everyone qualified. The four Bando's ran just a feature, the last race before intermission. A half hour intermission preceeded the TQ Midget feature. I used to like to eat at the track but the prices are too high for me now ($5.00 for a chesseburger) so I limited myself to one order of pierogies.

      The 20 lap TQ feature had just one yellow, for a spin on lap one. Ryan Tidman, the defending club champion, came from seventh and won going away. Since it was only a bit after 4:00, and the track is only 35 minutes from home, we stayed for both the Late Model and Sports Modified features as well. We left about 5:20 with the Factory Stock and Legends main events still to run.

      Hopefully the ATQMRA can get their car count problem straightened out, because at the track I heard that the week prior at Mahoning, they only had the same number of cars before the rain came and washed out the show. If they don't, I don't know how long tracks like Mountain, Oswego, Mahoniing, Bethel, and Wall Stadium are going to pay them a purse to race at their tracks. With the number of entries they draw at Atlantic City, it's surprising that they can't get at least 20 cars to show up on a Sunday afternoon when there are no other tracks running. It was suggested that they get rid of the wings, but they didn't want to hear of it.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2012 Summary

      2012 Events--Guy 21 / Pam 9
      2012 New Tracks--Guy 11 / Pam 8
      2012 Total Tracks--Guy 21 / Pam 9