The Rest of July: #687-689

  • andy sivi
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hello Everyone,

      After my road trip I did not go to any races until Saturday, July 25th, when I went to Rick Schneider Country-Long Island for the Riverhead Raceway oval and Figure 8 tracks. As soon as I parked my car I was very surprised to see Rick Schneider come over to me. He had car problems Friday while leaving New York City. His replacement engine was not running properly so he returned home. It turned out only to be a loose spark plug wire, but by then it was too late to go anywhere else for the weekend. Rick could not remember whether he had ever actually seen a Figure 8 race at Riverhead. He may have always left early on nights with Figure 8 racing. This Figure 8 track was Rick's 39th new track in 2001. The racing was exciting but I thought the $17.00 admission price was a bit high. Apparently, it was a special show because of the 30 lap, double points Blunderbust feature and a train race.

      Last night I picked up my brother in Jamestown, NY and went to the 159th annual Cattaraugus County Fair for Figure 8 racing. It was being held at the Little Valley Speedway, NY. Unfortunately, the Figure 8s were part of an evening of "Jamboree in the Dirt". There were drag trucks and mini tractor pulling on their respective straight lines; also, on a modified oval with jumps, there were 4 classes of ATVs and solo run Tough Trucks. The announcer and his attractive assistant were the ones at the R-rated Kane, PA Off Road Course event earlier in the year. The Figure 8s took a back seat to the other events. The show started at 7:45 with the first Figure 8 heat at 8:25. There were 3 heats of 6 cars each. All the cars were big, full-sized cars except for one small car that probably weighed a 1,000 pounds less than most of the others. The small car got pushed around in its heat but won the consi to make the 10 car, 10 lap feature where it finished 2nd or 3rd, depending upon which car won the race. When the feature was over at 10:30 there was a disagreement as to who the winner was. The vocal crowd thought car #3 won, but the winner was announced as #320, which may or may not have been a lap down. The Figure 8 races were all entertaining, with very aggressive driving styles.

      Andy Sivi
    • Randy Lewis
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
        The R rated Kane, PA off road race...? Tell us more.

        Randy

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/