New (Old) Track News--North Carolina

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2011
      TrackChasers:

      This one came from Allan Brown. Allan's really on top of this one. The vote came less than two days ago! The site is the old Shelby Motor Speedway in Shelby. The half mile last ran in the mid 1970's. Hopefully it will happen. I'm always happy to find more tracks to explore.

      <<MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT: The Cleveland county fairground board voted unanimously, Wednesday Dec. 28, 2011, to construct a 1/4 mile dirt race track on the site of the old 1/2 miler for the purpose of STOCK CAR RACING. Opening date is April 21, 2012 with the North Carolina VINTAGE Stock Car Championships! Clubs, such as the Bell & Bell Vintage Modified Series, will race each other, under their club rules, and the winner will be declared the NC Vintage Champion. In our case, we will crown two champions with our two divisions. The significance and importance of this entire concept is enormous, with far reaching and long-term benefits for the entire sport of vintage stock car racing. This project not only revives a historic facility, a NEW TRACK IS BEING BUILT TO FACILITATE US and guys like us!! Please make plans to participate in this historic event this April 21st. Additional details will be forthcoming, but the concept is set in stone!>>