2011 TrackChaser Report #127--Orlando Speedworld F8, FL

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011

      Last Friday Pam and I headed to the Orlando Speedworld in Florida for the Crash A Rama event. Races were held on both an oval track and the paved figure-8 course. They did not have the Enduro race on a road course like they did in 2009 when Fast Eddie and Roland were there.

      The only race not on the oval track was the School Bus race, run on the paved Figure-8 course. The Figure-8 uses the oval track turns, with an “X” in the infield. Of all the School Bus Figure-8 races I’ve been to, this had to be the best ever. They started 22 (!) buses in the 20-lap feature. Imagine drawing 22 school buses for a “novelty” race, when many “real” tracks can’t draw that many cars for any of their too-many divisions! The economy didn’t seem to prevent the largest field of school buses yet from entering the race at Orlando Speed World.

      With that many buses, they were in traffic at the “X” almost immediately. In fact, the first of three bus flips (!) occurred with only one lap complete. The race had at least three different leaders, and two of the three flips occurred in the center, with one in a turn. After the 20 laps were completed, there were still a good number of buses racing hard. The crowd loved it.

      Saturday we went for a walk in Downtown Disney, went swimming, to dinner at the Boston Lobsterfest seafood buffet, and then our annual trip to the movies. We saw "In Time", with Amanda Seyfried who is from my hometown. Pam and I both liked but not loved it. Sunday we repeated the first half of our Saturday before heading to Buffalo Wild Wings to eat dinner and watch football, before heading home Sunday night.

      I will certainly try to see a race in December to keep my consecutive month streak alive. It won't be this coming weekend though. Pam, her brother Bruce, and myself are planning on high school football both Friday and Saturday. It's week 14 of a 16 week high school season in Pennsylvania. This is the last year though, as next year the season is being trimmed back to 15 weeks. My December race won't be the second weekend of December either. I'm hoping for another Friday night high school game, pending the outcome of this Friday's game and the location of the following week's game. Then Saturday, I'm taking Pam to see "Cherish the Ladies", her favorite Celtic band. I'm confident I'll be able to get to a race in the second half of the month.

      Guy Smith 2011 tracks--81 New, 124 Total. Lifetime total tracks--1,417 (3rd)
      Pam Smith 2011 tracks--74 New, 84 Total. Lifetime total tracks--785 (16th)