#1418 North Iredell Emergency Training Ground, Harmony, NC

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2011
      Hi All,
      Saturday I took a short drive south to check out the North Iredell
      Emergency Training Grounds outside Harmony North Carolina where there was
      a demo derby scheduled with some figure eight races. I arrived about 1PM
      for the 2PM start of the event and after paying $8 as I drove onto the
      grounds I immediately saw Brian’s truck and Guy and Brian talking in the
      parking area. The figure eight cars were on the track for some solo
      practice laps. The track was set in a low part of the open field and
      surrounded with some temporary concrete slabs and some huge logs and then
      some temporary fencing to keep the crowd well back from the track. There
      was no seating but most brought lawn chairs and some backed up pick up
      trucks behind the chairs and watched from their vehicles. The track was
      slightly below the level of the spectators so visibility was good with the
      track being marked with two stacks of three tires that were dirt filled.
      They had good speakers and some generators if lights were needed and there
      were several tents and trailers of food vendors lined up behind the
      spectator area. I stood behind Guy and Pam as we waited over an hour for
      the start of racing. The racing finally started about 3:20PM for a small
      field of 5 4-cylinder cars and 6 V-8’s. The track had dried out during the
      wait so there was another delay to water before the second heat. They ran
      a single 10-lap heat for the small cars and then two heats for the V-8
      cars. Next up was the 25-lap feature for the small cars and that went
      non-stop with the #4 apparently the winner. I don’t think the announcer
      (they had a nice speaker system) ever gave any names for this class
      although he did state some names for the V-8 cars. The heat races were
      started from a standing start with the cars in one wide line but the
      feature was started single file. I don’t think the announcer had ever seen
      one of these events as he was unaware when the race was over and never did
      give any finishes or explanation of what was going on. After the first
      feature I thought it was getting late and I should catch up with Guy and
      Pam at another track so I took off with the V-8 feature lining up and the
      demos yet to come.

      #1418 11/12/11 North Iredell Emergency Training Grounds - Harmony, NC -
      1/12 dirt figure eight track - stocks

      Ed