#1414 Hocking County Fairgrounds, Logan, OH

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2011
      Hi All,
      Saturday I was on the road to visit a new location in Ohio at the Hocking
      County Fairgrounds. They have constructed a 1/5-mile dirt track in the
      infield of the old horse track at the fairgrounds and have some Jersey
      barriers for outer walls in the turns and plowed up some dirt walls for
      the remainder of the rectangular track. The track has two long straights
      and two short chutes with four 90 degree turns and each of the four
      straights have a small jump built across to make the autocross track. They
      did announce that this was the third race of the year. It is unusual that
      they race clockwise around the track. There is a nice 16-row concrete
      grandstand with aluminum bench seats and some good temporary speakers and
      they have added some lights to make adequate lighting on the oval. The
      grounds are nice with paved drives and a big new restroom building
      complete with several showers. I arrived at 4PM and was told there would
      be a lawnmower demo derby at 5PM before the races at 6PM. The 13 mowers
      were divided into two heats with the last 4 running transferring to the
      feature. I saw a bob-tail semi enter the grounds and spotted Brian Hickey
      and we joined the small crowd in the grandstands. At about 6:15 they had a
      drivers meeting for the 8 big cars and 4 small cars that came out for the
      autocross races. Then at 6:30PM they qualified the 12 cars to set the
      lineups for the races. The big cars ran 20 laps with Dustin Hatfield
      winning from the pole but it was not easy as midway through the race a
      lapped car spun him dropping him to third. Hatfield worked back to the
      lead and won the race. Tom McDaniel won the small car 15-lap race from a
      3rd starting spot. Then after a short intermission 7 of the 12 cars
      entered the mad dash for cash for 10 laps. McDaniel took off from 4th and
      stayed ahead of the big cars and won this race to close out the night at
      the Hocking County Fairgrounds.

      #1414 10/22/11 Hocking County Fairgrounds - Logan, OH - 1/5 dirt oval -
      stocks

      Ed