Re: [TrackChasers] trackChaser update

  • BHICKEYJR@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 2, 2011
      10-01-2011 Southwest Speedway Dickinson,ND. dirt oval

      Thanks
      Brian

      From: RTRYFBAR@...
      Sender: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:05:14
      To: <TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com>

      Brian:

      Nice seeing you on Saturday. You missed Allan and Nancy Brown at Marengo by a day. Allan reported that they were there on Saturday.

      From: BHICKEYJR@...

      Sender: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 03:41:06

      To: <TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com>

      Managed to make it over to Santa Maria Speedway in Ca. for their regular Sat
      night show. Good sized croud in attendence to watch

      large fields of cars in each of the 4 classes that ran. The track stayed
      competitive all evening with very good racing in all divisions.

      From: "Vanden Eynde Roland" <roland.vandeneynde@...>

      Sender: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:42:14

      To: <TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com>

      Subject: [TrackChasers] trackChaser update

      Hello colleagues,

      I ended my last trackchaser update report by telling I was invited by a friend
      to watch a race outside Belgium. I don't have many longtime friends, but those I
      have are extremely good ones. Some of you might remember that a few years ago my
      friend Prosper Mollekens invited me to Kyalami, South Africa. Once again,
      Prosper was instrumental in this invitation. Not long after last November's
      trackchasing trip to Southern California, Prosper invited me to dinner with the
      staff of his former KTR Racing Team: his son Kurt, Frank Couckaert and Jacky
      Eeckelaert. One of the numerous subjects of the table conversation was my
      trackchasing. Prosper brought it up remembering that long before I was a
      trackchaser, I sometimes informed him about other races of his drivers. He
      steadfastly answered with the catchphrase: "You're everywhere". After my little
      monologue about the fine art of trackchasing, Jacky Eeckelaert said he'd help me
      get to more countries and promptly invited me to the Turkish Grand Prix of 2011.
      As Jacky is Hispania Racing Team (HRT)'s technical coordinator, this was not
      just an invitation, but one during which I would be his personal guest. Such a
      generous offer was gratefully accepted and a few months ago, I had a few mail
      exchanges with Jacky. The deal was that I would buy my airline ticket; the team
      would fetch me at the airport and put me in the same hotel as the mechanics, who
      would chauffeur me to the track. As soon as this was settled, I logged on to my
      favourite air travel site www.swoodoo.de and found a very cheap ticket on a
      direct flight with Türk Hava Yolari (a.k.a. Turkish Airlines).

      Thus I left work in sunny Brussels at 3.00 p.m. on Friday, took the train to the
      airport, checked in for my 5.30 p.m. flight and arrived at 10.00 p.m. local time
      in cold and damp Istanbul. Having been to this wonderful city 4 times already, I
      knew the airport was an efficient one and indeed, half an hour after landing, I
      met a man sporting an HRT sign in the arrivals hall. It turned out my chauffeur
      was a local race fan, who would also drive the mechanics to the track next
      morning. I was glad to have a local driver, for even though I'm a fan of
      Istanbul, the dense and somewhat unorthodox traffic is not my cup of tea. Maybe
      the damp weather helped, but the driver got me rather quickly to the hotel in
      central Istanbul, near the former Roman hippodrome. I had stayed in this area
      with Aline when we went to the Turkish part of Cyprus. When I checked in, I was
      handed a large envelope together with my key. It contained a badge to get
      through paddock entry control at the track and a note by Jacky, instructing me
      to be ready in the lobby at 5.30 a.m. on Saturday morning. With this in mind, I
      set the wake up function of my I Phone to wake me up at 5.00 a.m. with a gentle
      musical tune and went to sleep.

      Saturday morning, Istanbul still looked very damp, but the rain had stopped. In
      the lobby, I met the mechanics. They're a very international bunch, consisting
      of Spaniards, Brits, a Portuguese, an Estonian and two Italians. Two minibuses
      would bring us to the track, one for the mechanics of fellow trackchaser Narain
      Karthikeyan's car and one for that of his Italian team mate Vitantonio Liuzzi. I
      opted for the latter's crew, which allowed me to practice my Italian a bit with
      his two mechanics. Istanbul is the only city that is part of two continents. The
      old city, in which I landed and spent the night, is on the European part of the
      Bosporus, the isthmus dividing Europe and Asia. This part is connected to the
      more recently developed Asian part by two mile long bridges. The Asian part of
      the city is growing rapidly and savagely, because of a rule stating that if
      someone builds a "house" overnight, it is allowed to stand. Thus, this side of
      the town grows organically. In general, it consists of steadily increasing half
      circles along the Bosporus. Once the majority of inhabitants of a shanty town
      area earn a somewhat decent living, they construct proper houses and streets and
      the ring widens. It's ironic that the Istanbul Park track, about 25 miles inland
      from the centre of Istanbul, is also an illegal construction, for it was never
      granted a building permit. Nevertheless, this track looks very impressive. We
      passed the paddock gate and, indeed, my entrance pass worked. The minibuses were
      parked behind the truck with the spare parts and I followed the mechanics to the
      wooden structure (a bit like a giant summer house) that was meant to be the
      hospitality area. It's in building blocks and put up at any Grand Prix. Compared
      to some structures nearby, it looked very tiny and flimsy, but HRT is a small
      and underfinanced team. Nevertheless, at this early hour, there was already a
      cook on site, to serve us a large and tasty breakfast. After breakfast, the
      mechanics turned their attention to preparing the cars for the morning warm up.
      I strolled down the paddock area to take a closer look at the hospitality
      structures of better funded teams. It's amazing. The MacLaren team has something
      one would rather expect in a high tech business park and the two storey Ferrari
      building oozes Italian design. I went back to HRT to wait for Jacky's arrival.
      He was there just past 8.30 a.m. and I spent most of the day in his company,
      except for the technical briefings and debriefings. I was introduced to both
      drivers, but during the rest of the weekend, I hardly had time to meet them
      again. However, I had lots of interesting information from Jacky and team
      principal Colin Kolles. The paddock oriented part of the pits looked like a
      commando post or a control room, with several people looking at computer screens
      with output of all data gathering and occasionally, they changed some
      parameters. As Jacky is the technical coordinator, he performed a visit to all
      of them. However fascinating this all is, I was happy when it was time for the
      briefings and I could go to the northern extremity of the paddock to watch F1
      and Porsche Supercup qualifying and the first GP2 race. In-between, I indulged
      in the HRT hospitality with very good food and excellent coffee.

      In general, I'm not a fan of Hermann Tilke's race tracks at all. However, here
      he has done a very good job, with a flowing, undulating and difficult
      anticlockwise track. From my vantage point, I could only see a fraction of it
      and the first GP2 race, won by former F1 racer Romain Grosjean (the one the
      Smiths saw win the first race at Francorchamps last year) was nothing to write
      home about. As the mechanics were still at work, I got a lift to my hotel from
      Jacky at 8.00 p.m. I had been at the track for nearly 14 hours. A nice
      experience, but not one I'd like to repeat week after week. I went to bed early,
      for on Sunday, it would be the same early rise.

      Sunday was dawning a lot brighter than the previous day. As both cars had
      qualified, the mechanics were in high spirits, although after breakfast, one
      could see the tension mount. As there was more racing activity, I spent less
      time in the HRT pits and hospitality than on the saturday. Neither the Porsche
      Supercup race nor the second GP2 race were stunners, though. After having
      lunched at HRT, I watched the final preparations for the Grand Prix. It didn't
      look that different from most other single seater races I've seen, except that
      there's so much more technology and people involved. When the cars left for the
      grid, I strolled towards my vantage point. It struck me that there wasn't such a
      large crowd in the grandstands. The weather can't be the cause, for although not
      really warm, it was nice and quite sunny. It must have been the entrance fees.
      Anyway, after the rather uneventful races of the morning, I wasn't expecting a
      superb Grand Prix. When I watch races like these, I usually fill in a lap chart.
      It was a piece of cake for the GP2 and Porsche races, but I had to be more than
      fully concentrated as during the entire Grand Prix, only two laps were devoid of
      any passing maneuvers. This is due to the tyres and the aerodynamic aids for
      passing. For my hosts, the Grand Prix was less comforting, for they were last
      and second to last, beaten fair and square by the other minnow, the Marussia
      Virgin of my compatriot Jérôme d'Ambrosio.

      As several team members had to catch planes soon after the finish, I managed to
      hitch a ride with one of them, an Argentinean engineer called Javier, not after
      once more thanking both Colin Kolles and Jacky Eeckelaert for their hospitality
      on this golden opportunity. During the drive to the airport, I had time to
      declare my great devotion to my driver's home country. I refrained from telling
      him I liked the Argentine driving standards a bit less, for he was a fine
      example of the opposite. I've had lifts of several drivers and team personnel in
      the past and they fall into two categories. Some of them are madmen even on the
      road, but most drive very cautiously and Javier belonged to that second
      category. Nevertheless, we got to the airport bang on time for our respective
      flights. With the hour's difference, I still got home late on Sunday evening.

      After a short night, I packed another bag for a two day plant chasing trip to
      England with Aline. We always do our plant shopping in the Maidstone area as
      with "The potted garden" it boast the most versatile nursery we know of in
      Europe. As we also did some grocery shopping, the car's boot was full to the
      brim. We were asked to stop for a luggage check by the Dover customs. Upon
      opening the boot, the custom's officer smelled the scent of the plants. He said
      he was a keen gardener himself and the scent was enough to convince him to let
      us pass without any further controls. Just like last time, Seafrance was not
      endearing itself. On our crossing back into France, there were not a lot of
      passengers. Thus they kept the restaurant, the snack bar and half of the toilets
      locked.

      Next week, I'll stay mainly local before embarking on a long road trip for the
      rest of the month.

      Number of races in 2011: 22

      Of which on new tracks: 21

      Number of countries in which trackchased: 9

      Of which new countries: 1

      Roland

      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

    • BHICKEYJR@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 7, 2011
        Southern National Speedway will go on the auction block Sat Oct 8th
        Looks like Lanier Speedway in Ga. Is throwing in the towel as they have put the speedway up for sale.
        As i drove by Monroe Speedway i noticed an auction sign at the main entrence to the track.

        Wish i had better news to report.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 12, 2011
          10-7-11 Jones Motor Speedway Chatham, La. dirt oval

          There is the 24hrs of Daytona
          There is the 12hrs of Sebering

          But on 10-8-11 i attended the 10 hrs of Ennis
          Thats right, 10 hrs to run six divisions that ran there heats the night previous. The best part is that i left at 4am with two
          divisions of mods left to run. You will never see me again at the 85 Speedway in Ennis Tx.

          See ya at the track
          Brian

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 12, 2011
            This past weekend we took a nice trip to the Heartland of America for three big races in three different states...... On Friday night we were at the West Liberty Fairgrounds in West Liberty, Iowa
            for the Liberty 100's ,a Friday and Saturday doubleheader featuring six divisions of stock cars and late models, with the top four classes having features features on the Friday night we were there. Admission was a reasonable 15.00 . A full size fairgrounds dirt half miler, the top Late Model class was absolutely flying around that place, with the their long straights. Over One hundred cars, with over twenty in each class signed in for the weekend. Many people spent the weekend, with loads of campers everywhere in sight. NO DUST anywhere , perfect dirt track conditions and great lighting made this a very enjoyable night.........On Saturday night we stopped at the Lebanon, MO. Midway Speedway for part two their annual Fall Brawl, another Friday- Saturday combo.. this place was a well banked quarter mile dirt with again great lighting...Six divisions of stock cars and late models.......Again 15.00 admission for adults. . I loved the track shape and size and action on this track, but a big problem that stood out was very poor officiating......The flagger was way too quick to constantly throw the yellow flag, which was very annoying and time comsuming... Also , when these constant cautions would come out, the track workers were constantly working on the cars, like pulling out bashed in fenders and repairing damaged sheet metal, making for long lasting cautions . Very disturbing .... drivers who repeatedly wrecked were allowed to go back and forth to their pits, and of course they kept the yellows out waiting for them!
            ..........On Sunday morning we drove to the Kansas Speedway

            in Kansas City, KS. for the Sprint Cup race....... This place opened in 2001 and everything looked brand new....The traffic plan was perfect, we drove right to the track with no delays at eleven AM and got out of there with very little delay after the race, The tack is right on I-70 and at a I-435 Junction, and being just outside the city, it is like country, with plenty of free parking on a well manicured field. You could see the whole track from every seat, so we sat on the eighth row and saw everything , like at a short track......Gas prices were only 3.05 out there , so that was a relief from our New York State prices!.... A great weekend , never even a drop of rain the whole week we were on the road. PJ

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 12, 2011
              Central Pennsylvania Speedway will return to asphalt for the first time since 2002. As a group led by Tim Bainey Jr.
              plans special events,testing and a driving school at the Clearfield,Pa. oval.

              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                Tennessee National Speedway in Hohenwald Tn. to reopen to finish off balance of there 2011 season.

                10-20-2011 Humboldt Speedway Humboldt,Ks. dirt oval

                10-22-2011 Hocking County Fairgrounds Logan,Oh. dirt auto cross