No new track, but still a good weekend

  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12 7:19 AM
      Hello colleagues,

      Congratulations go to Will and Guy for the nice work on the trackchaser website. Keep up the good work, chaps.

      For the second time in three weeks, my trackchasing fell victim to the weather. On Sunday, I wanted to see another Dutch autocross at De Groeve, but it was cancelled due to abundant rain during the last few days.

      Luckily, I had some splendid weather for my third 2011 trip to the Nürburgring for an historic car and bike meeting with a very long name: the ADAC Eifelrennen um den Jan Wellen Pokal. The Eifelrennen is the oldest German race meeting still being held (first held in 1934) and it's organised by the eldest club in Germany. In fact the DAMC (Düsseldorfer Auto und Motor Club) held its first road racing event in 1906. This is also the very first meeting during which two races were held simultaneously: one on the new Grand prix course and one on the old Nordschleife. There were races for CanAm cars (it was nice to see the AVS Shadow, but it was not so nice to notice it was appallingly prepared and not much better driven) and 1970 - 1980 Formula 1's. The nicest fields were for the touring car endurance (on the Nordschleife) and the sprint race for very small saloons. But the undisputed highlight was the exhibition of very rare pre war cars in the old paddock (in fact some were in the old pits and serviced by mechanics dressed like in the 1930's. A close second in excitement was the demo run of a Mercedes W169 by former Grand Prix driver Jochen Mass. This was a car specifically built for the 1940 Tripoli Grand Prix. It won the only race it was ever entered. How nice was it to be able the take pictures of this car in its pit box, without anybody interfering.

      Next weekend, I hope to have more luck with a three day programme in France.

      Number of races in 2011: 69
      Of which on new tracks: 60
      Number of countries in which trackchased: 17
      Of which new countries: 3

      Roland

      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be