Re: [TrackChasers] Re: New TrackChaser Website Update #4

  • colin herridge
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
      Guy,
      How do you define the difference between a road circuit & a street circuit ? also my last but one track i saw with Randy & Carol Lewis the surface was chalk which category would that slide into.
      The site will look good when its finished.....if i live long enough lol
      Colin

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
        <<How do you define the difference between a road circuit & a street circuit ?>>
        <<also my last but one track i saw with Randy & Carol Lewis the surface was chalk which category would that slide into.>>

        Colin:

        Thanks for the question and the thumbs up to the site's potential. I want everyone to understand how things work if they have any questions.

        I am using the existing types and surfaces that Will had created and defined that have worked well for us in the past, so I didn't define them myself. I'm just currently the person that is applying them. No use reinventing the wheel, especially if it is turning true.

        * A road circuit is a permanent track with both left and right turns.

        * A street circuit is a temporary track with both left and right turns using a majority of public roads.

        FYI: * An off-road circuit is a track that with both left and right turns and at least one jump.

        * A chalk surface would fall under the dirt category, along with clay, shale, grass, etc. Given the choices, what other category could it be?

        Regarding how the site will turn out when it is finished, the website will never be finished. I plan to continue to add features and functionality indefinitely, but at a pace where I can continue to enjoy it. It takes time, some money, and technology skills to create websites. I'm deficient in all three areas. One area I where I am not deficient is in ideas for the site. Another is in enthusiasm. I am very new to this and I am learning a lot as I go, and I love to learn. I only started a couple of months ago, but it is a fascinating journey as I learn more about racing and more about creating websites. I'm satisfied with the progress to date.

        I don't know if you realize it, but Will started the original TC site in 2000, taking over from my original annual (ha!) printed report booklets. It has taken eleven years to get to the point of the information that was available at the end of 2010 when Will gave up the job to concentrate more of his limited racing time to his more important ARR site. I am very thankful Will has been so helpful during the transition. His skills are amazing. He is a good friend and a good teacher. Roland and others have been very helpful and supportive as well.

        My goal is to help promote and celebrate the accomplishments of all the members of the group in a positive way, and in the process promote the sport of auto racing. If I do my best, I will be satisfied with the progress. Hopefully, it will be good enough for you too.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
          As Guy is progressing nicely with his plan to move all the TrackChasers
          lists, standings and stats to his new Roaming The Raceways web site, I
          have begun remodeling my Auto Racing Records site. Since there is so
          much statistical information contained in the TrackChaser section of my
          site, much of which will not be available on RTR for quite some time
          yet, I decided to continue to make this info available to everyone
          through a link on the ARR homepage. You can still access the TrackChaser
          pages using the trackchaser.net domain name as well. These pages,
          updated through 2010, will remain available on my site for a while yet.

          The major changes to ARR include moving the recently active tracks and
          series pages from TrackChaser. I've set up navigation buttons for these
          on the right side of each page, while the all-time drivers, races,
          champs, series and tracks buttons remain on the left side. The recently
          active series and tracks buttons are working, but at this time they lead
          to pages displaying the same info as the all-time buttons. Hopefully I
          will be able to get the recently active buttons to lead to the correct
          results in the next few days. I also added a link for the media links
          page, which was formerly on TrackChaser.

          Unfortunately I don't spend nearly as much time on racing projects as I
          did prior to 2010, but I will continue to try to work on updating the
          ARR info little by little.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
            The redesign of the homepage of ARR went more smoothly than anticipated
            and I'm pleased to announce that all the dropdowns are now functional.
            Only the TrackChasers info remains on the old TrackChaser site. Now all
            I have to do is continue to update and add to the info contained on ARR.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2011
              Will:

              Nice work combining the functionality of two sites into "one stop shopping". In the past, I have used both sites extensively. A tip of the hat for taking Auto Racing Records to the next level. I'm proud to play a tiny part in it and hope to continue to make contributions in the future when possible. You should be very proud of your contribution to the sport. Keep up the great work!