2011 TrackChaser Report #77--Providence, VA

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2011

      On Saturday Pam and I started heading towards home. Our destination was Providence Raceway in Henry, VA where a big two-day show was paying $750 to win for the Senior Champ Karts on Sunday. We went on Saturday for the local show, hoping some of the drivers racing for the money would show up for the Saturday show in hopes of getting some extra track time.

      The man in charge told me that gates would open in the morning, practice would be at 1:00, and qualifying at 4:00. We shot for a 4:00 arrival but missed it by a half hour and pulled in at 4:30. Admission was $10, and there were seven Senior Champ Karts on hand. Qualifying was originally supposed to be via heat races, but I had learned earlier in the week they had changed that and would qualify by time trials. Oh goody. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we missed qualifying completely, and that the features were supposed to start in 15 minutes.

      Fifteen minutes turned to 45, as they dumped a lot of water and calcium on the track and had to run it in. The track, which I believe opened near the end of last year, is nice enough although the amenities are a bit spartan. There are no seats, no permanent refreshment stand, and no permanent restrooms.

      The Champ Karts were scheduled to be the 7th of 18 classes, but due to no entries in one of the classes, moved up to sixth in the batting order. The first five races had a fair amount of yellows, as there was one groove in the turns and a lot of loose powder above that groove. However, none of those classes had too many karts so they didn't take that long. At least they didn't bring out the leaf blower between every race. The Senior Champ Buggy feature was 20 laps, and save for a last lap pileup in turn two that did not cause a caution, ran without any problems and I believe only one restart.

      I was expecting to be there much later in the evening. With the feature being completed at 6:40 and a track running Midgets only 17 miles away, it gave us a chance at an unexpected second race of the day.

      Guy Smith 2011 tracks--55 New, 75 Total. Lifetime total tracks--1,391
      Pam Smith 2011 tracks--44 New, 46 Total. Lifetime total tracks--755