weekend trip

  • daleob@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2001
      I had a three-day weekend last week and I used it to pick up a couple
      of new tracks. The stops:

      Friday, July 5 ... Clay County Speedway, Flora, Ill.
      This is a 1/4-mile dirt with a bit of banking. It looks racy and the
      facility is OK. The racing was less than OK, though.
      There were 19 UMP mods, 17 super streets and 20 bombers. The cars
      were split into three heats, and the features started straight up
      from the heats. That pretty much meant the points leaders wound up
      starting up front.
      It was track No. 471

      Saturday, July 6 ... Lebanon I-44 Speedway, Lebanon, Mo.
      If you heard about the truck race or IRL race, you know what the
      weather was like in this part of the country. If you haven't heard,
      it was hot. Really hot.
      I-44 is a 3/8-mile paved D-shaped oval. The curved part of the D is
      the backstretch and seems to be elevated a bit. The track sits in
      like a bowl and the grandstand seating reminded me of long park
      benches secured to the hill that leads down to the track. The
      grandstand admission was $8; and the "wild side, the backstretch and
      first and second turn areas where you could watch from your car (and
      where you could bring in alcohol, which wasn't sold there) cost $10.
      The view from the grandstand, high or low, was outstanding.
      Well, tonight's fields were even more disappointing than last
      night's. Ten late models, 10 late model stocks, 10 modifieds, 11
      sportsman and 15 pure stocks.
      However, tonight the racing was really pretty good because here the
      points leaders started in the back. And the cars were pretty closely
      matched. The late model feature winner, Tim Swearengin, started ninth
      and took the lead on the 27th of 30 laps. The mod winner, Terry
      Holtkamp, started fifth, took the lead about lap 11 of 25 and then
      had to hold off points leader Jim Hayes.
      The facility was nice and the show was well run. If they had even 18-
      20 cars in every division, this might be a really good show.
      It was track no. 472.

      Sunday, July 8 ... Angell Park Speedway, Sun Prairie
      This show drew about 32 midgets and also Ed Esser (of course), Allan
      and Nancy Brown and Kevin Eckert.
      Unfortunately, every time I go to Sun Prairie I'm reminded that the
      track isn't maintained like it used to be. And the racing's not the
      same, either.
      Tonight's feature was good, though. Matt Westphal took the lead at
      the start, lost it to a Davey Ray slide job, got it back from Ray and
      survived a last-lap repass try by Ray, who spun in the fourth turn.
      They also had a handful of minisprints, which ran a heat and feature.