RE: [TrackChasers] weekend report

  • Bruce A. Spencer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2011
      Ed,

      Next time you're headed out New England way let me know, maybe we can meet up.

      Thanks,
      Bruce

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 20, 2011
        Hi All,
        Sunday I was back at Angell Park in Sun Prairie Wisconsin for the Badger
        Midgets at 4PM when somebody walked by and said they heard the races were
        called off. It was overcast and a couple of drops of rain came down and
        sure enough the packing truck was stopped and soon the haulers were
        turning around and leaving. I headed back home and watched the end of the
        Indy Cars from Milwaukee on TV. Then I looked at the clock and it was 5PM
        so I checked the radar and headed off to the high banked quarter mile
        paved oval in Slinger Wisconsin. I arrived at the same time as Dale
        O’Brien (also on his way back from Sun Prairie) and soon spotted Guy Smith
        in the crowd. Every seat is a good seat at Slinger Speedway as you have to
        negotiate some steep walkways and hills and/or some steep bleachers on the
        mountain sides here. Racing starts at 6:30PM with a few dashes and semis
        if needed then they move into the features. There was a lot of fast and
        furious racing on the high banks tonight by 19 super late models, 9 late
        models, 9 sportsmen, 12 thunder stocks, 27 Slinger Bees and 9 figure eight
        cars in addition to the rent a racer cars and spectator drags. James Swan
        started 5th and won the non-stop sportsmen 30-lap feature. The late models
        ran 28 laps of their 30-lap feature when leader Alex Prunty spun and then
        5 cars tangled in the next turn for the only yellow. Rob Braun picked up
        the win over Wayne Freimund. The thunder stocks had the pole sitter spin
        on the first lap then ran a clean 18-lap feature with 9th starter Brad
        Hetzel taking the win. The super late model 75-lap feature started 17 cars
        and had a first lap spin stop 5 cars but all were able to restart. There
        was a spin on the 11th lap for a yellow and Brad Mueller got by early
        leader Lowell Bennett for the lead on the restart. Bennett was eliminated
        with front end damage racing for second on the 33rd lap for another
        yellow. The only other incident was a red flag for a spin and fire on lap
        43 that saw Conrad Morgan unhurt but out after an oil fire lit up the #92
        car. Racing resumed with Brad Mueller out front but tracked down by Jeremy
        Lepak and the two waged a close duel for the lead for many laps. Lepak got
        by on the inside but Mueller got along side him on the last two laps and
        the two finished side by side with Lepak the winner. Dennis Prunty arrived
        late and started last for no points and finished third. The front wheel
        drive Bees started 17 cars for their 18-lap feature that went non-stop
        with Nick Wagner, from 6th a close winner over the fast closing Mark
        Johler who started 17th. The figure eight race closed out the night with
        Scott Goetzke starting 7th and taking the win in the race that had only
        one yellow. The races were done by 9:45PM and after a quick walkthrough
        the pits while the traffic cleared I was on my way home.

        Ed