Weekend racing

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2011
      Hi All,
      Thursday and Friday were not good weather as storms went through the
      central part of the country and I decided not to chance a trip south.
      Weekend races in Missouri were already called off due to the rain and cold
      forecast so it looked like a week to stay at home. There were some races
      further west but the timing was not good to get home in time for my Monday
      night meeting so I just decided to save some gas money and read on the
      computer. I found a mention of Columbus 151 Speedway running an enduro on
      Saturday.
      No new tracks this week!
      Ed
    • terrapin44
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2014

        The weekend started out for me about noon after taking a 1//2 day to catch some Friday night racing in Ohio. Guy Smith pointed out in the group that Belle Island had free admission on Friday but I knew I couldn’t get there in time and decided to pay there $36 to go on Saturday instead. But first, it was off to Toledo. Guy already reported on the track so I don’t have much to add except they ran the show pretty well and they must have started just about on time because I showed up a little late and missed the heats for the Sportsman cars. From a TrackChasing perspective this is a great track if you can get it when they are running all the tracks, which they were tonight.

        In Saturday morning I headed towards Belle Island. They had 4 races on the schedule: IndyCars, Stadium Trucks, Pirelli World Challenge, and TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. The reserved seating was about twice the general admission so I went with the general admission ticket. If you really wanted to see the action though, it probably would have been better to pay for a seat near pit road so at least you could see the pits. They did have big TV screens though and it was enjoyable even though no matter where you went you could only see one turn. I watched all 3 of the non-IndyCar races and about ½ of the Indy Cars before taking the shuttle back to my $10 parking spot.

        After watching the Detroit Grand Prix events I headed to Flat Rock Speedway. Flat Rock is operated by the same promoters of Toledo but the car counts and crowd were night and day. Not sure why Flat Rock was so much better in these areas but maybe the divisions running (the only common division this week was the figure 8 cars), day of the week,or size of the track has something to do with it. They started right on time and ran the show pretty well. Luckily they didn’t waste too much time early because a sportsman car must have leaked every bit of fluid he had in his car in 4 different groves on the track and that took forever to clean up. I joked that I could almost count it as a dirt track because of all the speedy-dry! Also, latter on the rear end of a car managed to get stuck on the hood of another and it took a while to separate them.

        Sunday morning it was off to Mid-Ohio for some SCCA sportscar racing. This was a Masters event so they had a strong field with drivers from all over the country. I know Guy,, Pam, and some other track chasers like to take a walk in the morning while on the road. Mid-Ohio is a great place to do that because it is beautiful and there a re race cars! The first race was the Spec Racer Fords (at least they used to be Fords, not sure if they still are) and the winner ran away with the event from the beginning but the battle from second on back was good. I walked all around the track viewing from various spots (some twice) and had a great time. After watching the SCCA racing I decided to head to Rolling W ranch to see if I could catch some off road racing there. They start at 10:00 am on Sundays so I wasn’t sure since it was 3 hours away but I lucked out and was able to see all of the divisions race one time. Rolling W was nice because the track is situated in a way that you can see everything. It isn’t very technical and doesn’t have a lot of jumps but the racing was pretty good in most divisions.

        New Tracks this Weekend

        May 30:

        1. Toledo Speedway; Toledo, OH; Figure 8 track

        2. Toledo Speedway; Toledo, OH; Outer Oval

        3. Toledo Speedway; Toledo, OH; Inner Oval

        May 31:

        4. Detroit Grand Prix; Detroit MI; Belle Island temporary course

        5. Flat Rock Speedway; Flat Rock, MI, Paved oval

        6. Flat Rock Speedway; Flat Rock, MI, Figure 8 track

        June 1:

        7. Mid Ohio Sportscar Course; Lexington OH (SCCA)

        8. Rolling W Ranch; West Sunbury, PA; Short Off road course (buggies, trucks)

      • rpmgordy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2014
          Maximize while you can, brother. It gets harder as the list gets longer.

           Gordy

          Sent from AOL Mobile Mail