#1357 Ozark Empire Fair Arena, Springfield, MO

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2011
      Hi All,
      Friday I drove south to Springfield Missouri for another stop at the Ozark
      Empire Fairgrounds Arena. I had been here in 2007 for an outlaw sprint
      kart race on the dirt oval but tonight would add a figure eight track to
      the list. The arena is a long and narrow older building set up for rodeos
      with seating on 3 sides. There are two rows of folding chairs in front
      then a section of 8 rows of wooden bench seats behind that offer a good
      view of the entire arena. The black dirt on the arena floor was watered
      and gave off no dust tonight. The outside walls were made up of Jersey
      barriers and big tractor tires with piles of dirt between and around. The
      inside of the track was marked with two big tractor tires to designate the
      turns. The lights were fine and speakers were good if you were in the
      section where they pointed. I was joined in the stands by California’s
      Randy Lewis who was here to add to his world’s number one trackchasing
      totals. The entertainment tonight would be provided by Tuff Trucks, small
      cycles (pit bikes), lawnmowers and compact cars. They started off with an
      oval course that included two big jumps on one side and ran the 7 trucks
      and buggies one at a time in timed runs around the course. The longer
      wheelbase trucks often were unable to make the tight turn around the tires
      and had to back up to complete the turn. The jeep and buggies dominated in
      this event. Then they removed the jumps and piled the dirt outside the
      turns and the 13 small cars were divided into two heats with the top 3
      advancing to the feature race. They raced in an oval around the two tires
      and Bob Arms won the feature from the pole. The raced 11 pit bikes and had
      a lawnmower demo for 4 mowers and the pit bikes played soccer before the
      cars came back out for two heats and a feature on the same track but
      racing on a figure eight course around the same two tires. Bob Arms
      started 5th and won this feature too. The night was to conclude with the
      same 13 cars in a demo derby but I had to get on the road for a long drive
      southeast.

      #1357 3/18/11 Ozark Empire Fair Arena - Springfield, MO - 1/14 dirt figure
      eight - stocks

      Ed