Dixie Motor Speedway - Birch Run, Michigan - Track #489 (figure 8) and #490 (oval)

  • Randy Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2001
      Greetings from Birch Run, Michigan

      TRAVEL/PEOPLE NEWS

      The wakeup call came at 5 a.m. in San Clemente.
      Touchdown in Detroit was 4:30 p.m. Eastern time.
      Arrival at Dixie Motor Speedway in Birch Run, Michigan
      was at 7:30 p.m. just in time for the national anthem.
      A simple 11 � hours from my door to Dixie�s door.

      I took this trip on United Airlines. My normal
      carrier is American Airlines. As a matter of fact I
      have 5.6 million miles lifetime in the American
      Airlines Aadvantage program. So why United? My AAA
      Visa card gives free tickets for just 16,000 points
      (one dollar equals one point). Most frequent flyer
      programs require 25,000 miles/points for a free
      ticket. The AAA Visa card is a great bargain in this
      regard. Tickets can be redeemed on United or
      Continental.

      I connected in Chicago on the way to Detroit. When
      you travel you see all kinds of people. The one I
      noticed, in particular, was a young boy about 6 or 7
      years old lying on the floor screaming and yelling at
      his grandmother. After a short while he got up and
      started kicking her in the ankles. Nice kid. Mental
      note: avoid this boy!

      On board I settled into my aisle seat and made myself
      comfortable. As time went by and the plane filled it
      looked like I would have the seats next to me empty.
      Unfortunately, that would not be the case. Who would
      sit next to me other than monster boy and his
      grandmother? Monster boy, I would later learn he was
      named �Mikey�, sat next to me. This was not a good
      thing.

      Mikey liked to whine. First it was, �I�m hungry�,
      then �I�m thirsty�. Then, �I want to sit by the
      window�. Mikey would not fasten his seat belt.
      Grandma begged and pleaded but Mikey wouldn�t and
      didn�t fasten his seat belt. He discovered his tray
      table next. Tray table down. Tray table up. Tray
      table down. You get the picture. I began to doze
      off. Tap, tap, tap on the forearm. It was Mikey. He
      wanted to raise the armrest between us. I sternly
      said, �No!� He wanted to know why? I told him I
      didn�t want him raising my armrest. Can you spell
      ADD? I decided to recline my seat. Mikey wanted to
      recline his seat but he didn�t see how I did it. I
      watched him struggle to recline his seat without
      success. That was fun! Next came the pretzels.
      After a while Mikey began to throw them at Grandma.
      We were nearing the end of the flight when the pilot
      came over the speaker and announced he had bad news.
      We would need to circle the Detroit airport for 30
      minutes��and we had only 30 minutes of fuel. That�s
      all he said! If I were an infrequent flyer this
      announcement would have worried me. I decided to turn
      on my laptop for a few minutes. About this time Mikey
      began to drink/play with Grandma�s seven-up drink.
      Let�s see�..the Seven-up is about 18 inches from my
      laptop. This was more nerve-wracking than the fuel
      problem.

      As you might imagine we landed without further
      incident or you would have heard about it before you
      saw this email. I figure I have 10 more years to
      watch races in Michigan. In 10 years Mikey will be 16
      and begin driving. I will then suspend trackchasing
      activities for a three-year period in Michigan.
      During this three-year hiatus Mikey should be safely
      locked up in one state penitentiary or another for a
      good long time. I can then resume Michigan
      trackchasing pursuits. Allan, keep an eye out for
      this kid.

      RACING NEWS

      Dixie Motor Speedway is a well-organized operation.
      This is the first track I�ve ever been to that
      features an official greeter, just like WalMart.
      �Welcome to Dixie�, with direct eye contact. Another
      first, it was church bulletin night. Everyone
      bringing his or her church bulletin got $1 off the $10
      admission. They started on time exactly at 7:30 p.m.
      Their grandstand was large, about 30 rows high. They
      had an enthusiastic announcer and a great P.A. system.
      I�ve never seen cleaner bathrooms at a racetrack
      anywhere.

      Refreshments were racetrack traditional. I tried the
      specialty, popcorn chicken at $2.75. The concession
      stands are located underneath the grandstands like a
      lot of fairgrounds tracks. It was about 90 degrees
      and humid outside. Underneath in the
      concession/souvenir area it was about 120 degrees. It
      was hot. I don�t know how the concessionaires could
      work there.

      The track offered an excellent program. They had a
      special section sort of like a telephone yellow pages
      directory that included info on: banners and signs,
      fan conduct/profanity, lost and found, paging, etc. I
      sat in the non-alcohol section. There were a couple
      of guys drinking beer, but not causing any trouble, in
      my section. One of the track personnel went to them
      and asked them to move. They initially resisted but
      then finally moved. I�ve never seen tracks enforce
      this policy before. I like that.

      They had several classes of racecars. These included:
      late models, figure 8s, modifieds, super mini trucks
      and the black and blue division.

      The track is a low banked 1/3 asphalt oval with a
      traditional flat figure 8 track inside. The first
      race of the night was a figure 8 feature that had been
      postponed from two weeks ago. It had been postponed
      because of a serious accident. It was fairly
      uneventful but the cars were fast and entertaining.
      Usually figure 8 races are the last event of the
      night. The figure 8 race gave me my 489th lifetime
      track.

      The oval track races were only fair. There were lots
      of yellows, about 2-3 for every heat race. There were
      10-12 heats races. At about 10 p.m. it was time to
      make an exit. Just too many delays. The Dixie Motor
      Speedway was my 490th lifetime track. Maybe on a
      different night the racing would be better at Dixie.
      Everything else about the track was good but 2 � hours
      of three laps and a caution was not very entertaining.

      Best billboard: Bronners � World�s largest Christmas
      Store (same exit as the track)

      Weather: t-shirt and shorts, it was hot and sticky

      Current rental car mileage: 262 miles when I reached
      the hotel in Toledo, Ohio

      New racetracks visited in 2001

      467. Laughlin Event Center, Laughlin, NV (no web
      site)
      468. Loc Moran, Mont Carmel, Quebec
      (http://www.grabnetworks.net/delta/)
      469. Circuit Jacques Rainville, Vanier, Quebec (no
      web site)
      470. Pauline Davis Pavilion, Red Bluff, CA
      (http://www.rboutlaws.com/)
      471. The Pavilion at the Fairgrounds, Chico, CA (no
      web site)
      472. Baton Rouge Raceway, Baker, LA
      (http://www.batonrougeraceway.com)
      473. Mississippi Motorsports Park, Long Beach, MS
      (http://www.msmotorsportspark.com)
      474. South Alabama Motor Speedway, Opp, AL
      (http://www.southalabamaspeedway.com)
      475. Nashville Super Speedway, Smyrna, TN
      (http://www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com)
      476. Beech Bend Raceway (oval track), Bowling Green,
      KY (http://www.beechbend.com)
      477. Beech Bend Raceway (figure 8 track), Bowling
      Green, KY (http://www.beechbend.com)
      478. Soggy Bottom Speedway, Morgantown, KY
      (http://www.soggybottomspeedway.com)
      479. Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, CA
      (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com)
      480. Speedway 90, Beaumont, TX
      (http://www.Speedway90Bmt.com)
      481. 105 Speedway, Cleveland, TX
      (http://www.105speedway.com/)
      482 Savannah Speedway, Savannah, MO (no web site)
      483. Winston Speedway, Winston, MO (no web site)
      484. Stuart Speedway, Stuart, IA
      (http://www.midiowa.com/showtime/stuart.html)
      485. Barberton Speedway, Barberton, OH
      (http://www.barbertonspeedway.com/)
      486. Eriez Speedway, Erie, PA
      (http://www.statelineeriezspeedway.com/)
      487. Anderson Dry Lake, Lucerne Valley, CA
      (http://hometown.aol.com/mdrracing/index.html)
      488. Perris Auto Speedway-(figure 8 track), Perris,
      CA(http://www.perrisautospeedway.com/)
      489. Dixie Motor Speedway � (figure 8 track), Birch
      Run, MI (http://www.dixiemotorspeedway.com)
      490. Dixie Motor Speedway � (oval track), Birch Run,
      MI (http://www.dixiemotorspeedway.com)

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/