G. Smith 2011 TrackChaser Report #2--North Alabama Speedway, Tuscumbia, AL USA

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011

      After only seeing four races at Cochran Speedway on Saturday, Pam and I moved on to Alabama on Sunday. The USCS (yes, the Sprint Car sanctioning group) Enduro League was running their opening race at the North Alabama Speedway in Tuscumbia.

      We arrived quite early by accident, as neither Pam nor I realized that we were crossing a time zone. There would be only one race on the card, the 200 lap endurance race. The $3000 to win race drew 32 Strictly Stock entries on a chilly but sunny afternoon. Admission was $10 and a fair crowd was on hand.

      The track seemed like a nice one, both the track itself and the facility. As I'm not overly fond of the weekly southeastern US dirt track formula of seven classes of stock cars with small turnouts in each class, I was just as happy to see this track with a single Strictly Stock race with a decent field.

      The race was scheduled for 2:00 and got underway about 20 minutes late. The first 100 laps were run opposite direction from the US norm, while the second 100 laps were run in the American traditional counter clockwise direction. At first I thought they were going to be red flag happy (there were four from laps 8-12), but that was not the case as there were not a lot overall.

      The race had all the normal enduro action, fires, flips, flats, etc. Even though only one driver finished on the lead lap, both Pam and I enjoyed the race and we both agreed this was preferable to the weekly show.

      As this was an afternoon race, we had time to drive to Huntsville for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings, a favorite stop for both of us.

      The first weekend of the year worked out well for us as we beat the rain in Georgia on Saturday, and watched an enjoyable endurance event in Alabama on Sunday. We both liked that the two races were afternoon shows, allowing us to go out to dinner in the evening and get to the hotel at a decent time. As always, Pam and I had a great trip together. The eight day trip included a college football bowl game, New Year's Eve in Saint Augustine, and races in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.

      I hope everyone else had a great start to 2011 as well.

      gms

      Guy Smith 2011 tracks--2. Guy Smith total tracks--1,338
      Pam Smith 2011 tracks--2. Pam Smith total tracks--713

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2011
        As you know, I have decided to no longer keep track of the TrackChaser track lists.
        However, I am going to record all tracks visited through the end of 2010. After I return
        home from my present trip, which will be on January 17, I'll update the lists through
        12/31/2010. I anticipate the track lists and all related statistics will remain on
        www.autoracingrecords.com for at least a few weeks after that.

        As far as I know, unless something else is decided upon, Guy Smith will be taking over the
        duties I had been performing for the group. Guy is planning to start his own personal
        site, which hopefully will eventually include the TrackChaser track lists. Thus, all new
        track additions from 1/1/2011 forward can be reported to him in the same fashion as they
        were to me. The preferred method would be to report track visits to the group via this
        forum. Otherwise, you can report them to Guy personally at rtrfybar@... .

        As for my site, I can't be sure of what the future holds. I don't expect to have as much
        time to devote to it as I did prior to 2010. However, no longer keeping up the track lists
        should allow me more time to update the track information, which was almost completely
        neglected last year. Giving up the lists was a very difficult decision for me, but in the
        long run I feel it is the right thing to do.