ottawa

  • Rick Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      I'm still having trouble getting messages through to the list serve... according to my mail box , they get sent, but are not reaching the list serve.
      I thought I'd try again and tell you of some ice racing in my area. The Motor Club of Ottawa will be once again holding ice races in the parking lot ( so I'm told) of the Capital City Speedway this year. More details can be found

      http://www.mco.org/cms/

      I'm hoping to get to one of them.... The Enduro scheduled for the Can Am Speedway , Lafargeville for this Sunday has been called off because of the thaw. I may go to the Enduro at Riverside Speedway NH instead

      Rick

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
        (Colac, VIC, AUS)--The past 4 days have been mostly good, however I unfortunately suffered
        another rainout on Monday night. The Sydney Speedway (formerly Parramatta City Raceway)
        had their big 2-day, $50,000. to win, sprintcar show washed out on January 2-3. Originally
        they were going to reschedule it for Jan. 14-15, which is my New Zealand weekend, but
        tonight I found out they changed their mind and plan to run it on Jan. 7-8. It would now
        be possible (although not easy) for me to go there for the Friday night show. I haven't
        decided yet whether I will do that or not.

        Picking up from my last update, I did make it to Riverland Speedway (Renmark, SA) last
        Saturday night. Sunday I lucked out as the rain held off in Dubbo, NSW, long enough to see
        some racing at Morris Park Speedway. Thus, even if I don't return to Sydney, I will at
        least have already scored a New South Wales track. Monday wasn't all bad though, despite
        the rainout at the Granville track. On my way from Dubbo to Sydney, I stopped in Bathurst
        to drive a lap around the famous Mount Panorama Circuit, which was pretty exciting. It
        must be awesome racing around that track. Coming down the long straight before the final
        turn, I had to resist the urge to slingshot past the 2 slowpoke cars in front of me. I
        also visited the National Motor Racing Museum, located adjacent to the circuit. It was
        nice to see they even have several short track race cars on display in the mainly touring
        car and motorcycle themed museum. After the disappointment at Sydney, I made the long
        drive southwest today to Simpson Speedway (Bungadoor, VIC), which surpassed my
        expectations with some good racing on an interesting track.

        The next couple days I can take it easy (compared to most of the trip) as I'll remain in
        this area of southern Victoria, with no racing scheduled for Thursday. Friday I'll either
        continue to stay in the area, going to the track in Hamilton, or maybe I'll make another
        roundtrip to Sydney, before flying to Tasmania for a brief visit on Saturday, which will
        hopefully result in my seeing races in the sixth and final Australian state.

        Tracks by state: Western Australia (2), South Australia (2), Victoria (2), Queensland (1),
        New South Wales (1).

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
          Will:

          If you have extra time in Victoria and enjoy racing museums, you may want to drive out to Phillip Island to the Phillip Island Circuit. They have a nice museum and gift shop there (at least they did eight years ago), and although mostly motorcycle themed, is well worth the stop.

          Gut Smith

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
            I got my 2011 racing campaign off to a good start this Sunday (2 Jan) with a road trip to the Riverside Speedway at Groveton , New Hampshire for their 'Pre Hangover' Enduro.

            My original plans for this weekend had been to attend the Enduro at the Can Am Speedway at Lafargeville NY but the recent rise in temperatures and the thaw that followed caused a postponement. With Can Am being a dirt track, it would have been a big muddy mess ! . The Riverside Speedway is paved, so the thaw turned out to be a bonus and the cars were able to race on the wet asphalt.

            I left home in Cornwall, Ontario at 7-00am on Sunday morning in my Chevy HHR and headed up to Magog , Quebec, where after three hours of driving, I dropped down in to the USA at the Stanstead border crossing. I'd never been this way before so it was a new experience for me.

            Once over the border, I was in Vermont , then after a 30 minute cross country trek I crossed the state line into New Hampshire. From here it was a further 30 minute drive to the track at Groveton. I was there before midday and the racing due to start at 1-30 pm.

            I took a wander around the pits and then waited in my car until the action started. During the normal racing season the quarter mile high banked Riverside Speedway host's a typical bill of fare that consists of paved Late Models and Street Stocks. Today it was the turn of the low budget Enduro cars.

            To get things going 'two cars at a time', did a one lap drag race with the winner being decided by an elimination basis. Following this the 27 car enduro got under way which consisted of 150 laps. I had no intention of staying right to the end, but stayed there long enough to get a feel of the place, and to take a few photos. I made my exit at about 2-45 pm, for the four hour return trip to Cornwall.

            The Riverside Speedway at Groveton, New Hampshire became track # 188 on my TRACKCHASING Totals.

          • colin herridge
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
              -Lol had a holiday then GUY
              Gut Smith