[TrackChasers] 3-1 in Australia

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2010
      (Gympie, QLD, AUS)--It took a rainout on day four of my Australia/New Zealand trip to give
      me the time to find an Internet connection and send a brief update. With severe flooding
      not too far north of here and rain throughout the drive north from Brisbane Airport this
      afternoon, it didn't come as a surprise to find an empty race track upon my arrival at the
      uniquely shaped Mothar Mountain Speedway. However, I was intrigued to find a sign listing
      tomorrow (Thursday) as still on for races at this time. The forecast does call for the
      rain to move out tonight, but I don't know if they'll be able to get the track in shape by
      tomorrow. There was a sign just before the track, saying the road was closed due to water
      over it. Unfortunately, I'm unable to change tomorrow's flight from Brisbane to Melbourne,
      but I could consider just losing that one and booking another for Friday morning. If I
      don't alter my schedule, I will not get a Queensland track and thus I'll fail to see races
      in each of Australia's 6 states on this trip. At the moment I am leaning toward sticking
      to my plan and flying back to Melbourne tomorrow. If I remain in Queensland until Friday,
      I'll then have to further alter my schedule for at least that day and possibly the next.

      Did you ever leave home 41 hours before starting time for a race and still arrive late?
      That's what happened to me at the start of my trip, but it all worked out in the end as I
      made it to Bunbury Speedway for Boxing Day action, which included Michigan late model
      driver Jeep Van Wormer. Monday, after wading in the Indian Ocean, it was time for some
      more Western Australian dirt tracking at the Perth Motorplex. Tuesday I flew to Melbourne
      and drove over the border to South Australia where Jason Johnson won a round of the World
      Series Sprintcars at Borderline Speedway.

      I'll try to get online for another brief update sometime within the next week or so. Of
      course a more detailed summary of my Oceania adventures will follow after I return home on
      January 17.