2010 Week 41

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      TrackChasers:

      Last week Pam had her fall Northeast Speech and Hearing Conference on Friday, where she was presented the group's highest award, Honors of the Association. The following day she would reach an even bigger milestone. The conference prevented us from leaving Friday in time to go to Rolling Wheels, where we likely would have headed. We left after the conference and drove to the Buffalo area, for what might have been our last weekend trip together for 2010.

      Saturday we drove to Ontario and the Woodbridge Fair, where ODD had a demo derby and figure 8 show. The fair was nice enough, and we had some great halibut and chips. We watched the largest pumpkin contest, with the leader when we left weighing in at over 1000 pounds. Before the races, I spotted PJ and he came up and sat with Pam and I. PJ said it was his fourth Ontario track in the past month, including Bolton--a TrackChaser first, as he loves the Ontario fair figure 8's like Pam and I do. This might have been the smallest figure 8 track I have ever seen. Surprisingly, they had both a six cylinder and a four cylinder class, but only one feature race for each. The track was so small it was basically impossible for the bigger six cylinder cars to pass, and in fact the race had no passes. It was a milestone track for Pam, as it was her 700th track. The best thing about it was that we went to every one of those 700 together.

      Our plan when we left home was to leave Woodbridge and drive to Syracuse, then get up early Sunday morning and drive to Twin State, NH for their final race of the year on the inner oval. Earlier this year, I had been to the only track left on my hitlist in Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Virginia, and New Jersey. I wanted to finish New Hampshire as well, because it would have been the first time I had all the tracks I know about in New England, a goal for many years. However, while catching up on "The Racin Paper", I saw that there was a new quarter mile oval for Legends at NHMS, so even if we went to Twin State I would not be able to get them all in NH this year.

      With this in mind, we changed plans Saturday morning and instead of driving nine hours to Twin State for Sunday afternoon, we drove an hour and a half to the Rockton World's Fair for the Saturday night oval track Democross races. The result was that we both got to see two new tracks anyway, with seven hours less driving. We had been to Rockton with Allan Brown several years ago for the figure-8, but tonight's racing would be on an oval. This is a big fair and it was packed. There are a lot of seats at the arena, and they were all full and the crowd was overflowing in all directions. They had dog obsticle course races at 6:30, with the Democross at 7:30. The dogs started late and then took long (I hate it when the mutts drag out their show), resulting in the races starting 45 minutes late. In addition to the Democross races, they also had two classes of demo derby. The arena is huge, and this was probably the largest temporary fair track I have seen. So we saw the largest and the smallest in the same day. Both Pam and I independently estimated that you could put 9-12 Woodbridge tracks inside the Rockton track. The Democross turnout was good, with 23 cars. Since the track was bigger, they ran eight in a heat so that meant three 15-lap heats of racing. The entire Democross portion of the show ran before any demo derby, but with starting 45 minutes late it was still 9:00 when it ended. As I had not planned on any outdoor activitiy at night, I did not have a jacket and by 9:00 it was pretty chilly. We made one quick walk through the still packed fair and headed for the hotel.

      Sunday we did not dilly dally in getting back into the US, as this was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and the border traffic heading into the US was horrendus when we crossed the other direction the day before. Although heavier than usual, it was not that bad. We stopped on the US side of Niagara Falls for a walk on Goat Island, at least the best I can walk at this time. It ended up being a wonderful fall late morning and early afternoon, and if you are a Facebook friend of Pam's you can see our pictures there, as well as those giant pumpkins from Woodbridge.

      We were home in plenty of time for the Phily twin-wins on Sunday night, as the Eagles held off San Fran, and the Phillies knocked out the Reds. Then my Jets beat the Vikes on MNF to complete the good end of the weekend for me.

      Tomorrow (Thursday) is my knee surgery so I am making no plans for this weekend. If I can go, I will, and Pam and I will head to Ohio for our last weekend trip together for 2010. If not, last week was our last weekend trip, and it was a very nice season on the road together.

      Guy Smith

      2010 Summary

      Weeks Racing--39 of 41
      Weeks with New Tracks--31 + 2 (new for Pam only) = 33
      New Tracks--127 (Guy 69, Pam 58)
      Total Tracks/Total Events--103/96
      Total States/Provinces--18 (AZ, MI, NJ, NY, QC, FL, PA, OH, IN, GA, NC, SC, NH, CT, ON, VT, ME, VA)
      Countries--7 (USA, CAN, DNK, DEU, SWE, NLD, BEL)

      Guy Total Lifetime Tracks--1,318
      Pam Total Lifetime Tracks--701

    • Bruce Eckel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
        Congrads to Pam on #700 and belated to Guy on #1300.

        Bruce and Pat

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
          Guy,

          Hope your knee surgery went well and you have a speedy recovery. If not before then we will see you in California.

          Bruce and Pat

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
            Bruce:

            Thanks for the well wishes and the congratulations message to Pam and myself. The surgery went fine. It's very sore today. I'm sitting on the recliner with ice on it. No high school football tonight, except for on the mighty Blue Ridge Cable TV 13.