Beaver Dam Raceway, Beaver Dam, WI

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010
      Hi All,
      Saturday I was home for a couple of hours then I was off to Beaver Dam
      Raceway in Beaver Dam Wisconsin for the Badger Midget reunion that was
      held in the afternoon before the regular program at the 1/3-mile high
      banked clay oval. A big crowd was out on a nice night to see a large field
      of racers with 12 Badger Midgets, 36 modifieds, 11 sport mods, 13 street
      stocks, 23 Grand Nationals and 19 legends set to run. The midgets were
      timed during hot laps and Travis Berryhill took fast time with a 15.347
      second lap around the speedway. Matt Smith and Courtney Erfurth won the
      two midget heats. The legend feature was first and after a lap 9 spin they
      piled up 5 cars when one spun on the restart eliminating three cars. There
      was one more yellow and then Joel Wyttenbach pulled away for another win
      after starting 9th. The street stocks ran their 20-lap feature with no
      yellows as Jeremy Schwoch came from 10th to take another win in this
      class. The lineups in all classes except the midgets use a point inversion
      with the high point car well back in the field. The midget feature was
      next with two spins during the 20 laps and Mike Hess starting third
      getting a quick lead and then pulling away from Smith to take the win with
      Bob Shreffler third and Berryhill fourth. The track had become faster on
      the bottom and most of the racing was being done around the pole. Joe
      McGrath started 4th in the modified feature and held off the field through
      two yellows to capture the win. Don Schleffler started 10th and came
      across second with Rob Schmid fourth and Jeremy Christians up from a 15th
      place start to take 5th. The Grand National feature had 4 yellows as Don
      Sorce JR came from 11th to take another win too. Roger Lee started 16th
      and came home second with Tim Thompson the 10th starter across for third.
      The sport mods had three yellows in the final feature of the night and
      Jeff Steenbergen came from 9th to take the checkers over Brian Besaw from
      8th.

      Ed
    • ejesser@jvlnet.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2010
        Hi All,
        Saturday I was back home and ready for another visit to Beaver Dam Raceway
        in Beaver Dam Wisconsin. Tonight the one third mile dirt oval was very wet
        to start the night and never got dried out further than three fourths up
        the banking. Scott Hatton started the night with fast time of 15.804
        seconds for the 14 Badger Midgets here tonight. Also racing tonight were
        27 modifieds, 13 sport mods, 17 legends, 15 street stocks and 20 Grand
        National stocks. Each class ran heats and only the modifieds needed a semi
        before the 20-lap features. Daniel Robinson and Mike Hess won the two
        heats for the midgets. The sport mod feature went all green and Jeff
        Steenbergen started 9th and won over Brian Besaw from 8th. The legends had
        a debris caution and a lap 12 spin for their two yellows as the fifth row
        starters carried on a duel for the race win with Brian Peterson just
        barely holding off Joel Wyttenbach at the finish line. Robby Bord hit the
        wall and lost a wheel on the 9th lap of the hobby stock feature for the
        only yellow in the race that saw Jeremy Schwoch start 9th and pull away
        from Brandon Reidner from 7th to win. The Grand Nationals had 3 yellows as
        Roger Lee worked from 14th to track down early leader Jim Rhode giving the
        point leader, Lee another win. The modifieds had some heavy hitting as 4
        yellows brought a lot of damaged cars to the pits. Only 9 of the original
        20 starters completed the 20 laps and some without side panels as a heavy
        and somewhat narrow track took its toll. Dave Schoenberger started 13th
        and won the modified feature over Eddie Lemay and Craig Priewe who both
        started in the 6th row. The midgets finished out the night and lost 3 cars
        early to mechanical troubles then had a debris caution after Brian Terry
        and Courtney Erfurth came together on the 5th lap and both those cars were
        out. David Budres who started on the pole and led a lap then hooked the
        cushion and flipped several times in the third turn on the restart. Hess
        continued to hold a big lead from the front but Hatton who started 6th
        took a while to work to second but a lap 14 yellow for a stalled car
        closed up the cars for the six lap dash to the end. Hatton put pressure on
        the leader on the inside and finally made the pass on the 19th lap but
        went hard into the third corner and drifted up allowing Hess to retake the
        lead which he held for the last lap to take the victory and wrap up the
        point championship in the process. Following Hess and Hatton at the line
        were Robinson, Rich Camfield and Eric Johnson as only 5 cars completed the
        distance.

        Ed
      • ejesser@jvlnet.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2010
          Hi All,
          Saturday night I was back to the Beaver Dam Raceway in Beaver Dam
          Wisconsin for another regular night of action on the 1/3-mile clay oval.
          The day was sunny and windy and the track was very dry tonight with the
          third and fourth turns dusty in hot laps and the first and second turns a
          little better with a fast outside lane. By feature time the fastest line
          was against the wall in 1 & 2 and slow against the inside tires in turns 3
          & 4 in all the classes. Again they drew good car counts with 17 Badger
          Midgets, 23 modifieds, 12 sport mods, 14 street stocks, 21 legends and 25
          Grand National late models. A big crowd filled the stands on a nice night
          that started with Daniel Robinson taking fast time for the midgets at
          17.063 seconds. Mike Hess and Travis Berryhill came from the back to win
          the two midget heats. After 15 heats and two semis we were ready for the
          20-lap features. With the high point drivers getting a 10 car invert there
          is always lots of passing here. The street stocks had 3 yellows during the
          feature that saw a 3 car battle for the lead with Brandon Reidner
          re-passing and winning from 8th over Aaron Streblow from 9th and Jeremy
          Schwoch from 10th. Jeff Steenbergen shot from a 7th place start to the
          lead and held off Brian Besaw for another win in the sport mod feature
          that was also slowed by 3 yellows. Joel Wyttenbach started 12th and
          charged to the front only to spin and be the first of 4 cautions but he
          restarted and went to the top in the first two turns to pass several cars
          and never looked back as he came through the field to take another win.
          Joe Johnson from 11th finished second and Brandon Schmitt from 10th was
          third. The Grand Nationals had 6 yellows while Tommy Moore came from 9th
          to take a win over Roger Lee from 11th. The modifieds had 5 yellows then
          ran off the final 8 laps with Jay Schraufnagel against the first turn wall
          passing from a 11th start to capture a win over Craig Priewe from 10th and
          Mitch McGrath from 16th. The midgets had a 4-car invert that put Courtney
          Erfurth on the pole and Berryhill outside the first row. Berryhill grabbed
          the lead while Hess took 9 laps to get by Erfurth. There were only 3
          yellows for spins in the feature as Scott Hatton who dropped out of his
          heat started 15th in his back up car and was coming through the field.
          Hess caught Berryhill and the two battled for the lead with Hatton closing
          fast. Hess took the lead on the 17th lap but Hatton was in the high lane
          on the 18th lap when the two leaders touched and Hatton made the pass and
          held on for his first win of the year. Following Hatton at the finish were
          Berryhill, Hess and Erfurth.

          Ed
        • ejesser@jvlnet.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2010
            Hi All,
            Saturday was another cool but sunny day and I chose the Beaver Dam Raceway
            at Beaver Dam Wisconsin where the Badger Midgets would be running their
            last race of the season. The 17 midgets were joined by 27 modifieds, 12
            sport mods, 25 Grand Nationals, 20 legends and 12 street stocks for the
            show on the high banked 1/3-mile dirt oval. The track dried out and the
            top groove seemed fast but some were able to keep up using the bottom line
            too. Mike Hess took fast time in the Badger Midgets with a 14.894 second
            lap. Scott Hatton and Daniel Robinson won the two midget heats. Only two
            classes needed semis and then the Sport Mod feature was the first of the
            six 20-lap feature races with two yellows for spins slowing the race. Jeff
            Steenbergen started 10th and won the feature over Brian Besaw from 9th.
            The street stocks ran non stop as Jon Schultz came from 5th to take the
            feature with 8th starter Brandon Riedner in second. The legends had only
            one debris yellow as Joel Wyttenbach came from 10th to score another
            feature win over Kevin Brill and Brandon Schmitt. The Grand Nationals had
            a first lap pile up and then one spin as 9th starter Tommy Moore worked
            the outside lane and held off Don Source JR from 10th. The modifieds also
            had only two yellows in the feature and Dave Schoenberger started 6th and
            held off a last lap charge from 7th starter Mike Sandholm to take the
            checkers. The midgets had a lap 2 stall and a lap 12 spin by Travis
            Berryhill but Scott Hatton jumped out from the front row and went to the
            top to build up a lead and then hold off Hess from 7th and Robinson. Bubba
            Altig came home in 4th and Brandon Waelti finished fifth.

            Ed
          • ejesser@jvlnet.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2011
              Hi All,
              Saturday my choices for local racing included Jefferson and Beaver Dam. I
              found Jefferson had races both Tuesday and Wednesday next week so I
              decided to visit Beaver Dam Raceway where I was a regular last year when
              the midgets were part of the show. I arrived right at starting time of
              6:30PM and found a new ticket procedure as the track has two ticket booths
              on the entry road as there is a new pricing of $15 per carload. I got in
              for the $10 individual price but did notice some overfilled cars in line!
              The crowd did not seem any bigger than last year but was decent for a cool
              evening. The track is the same as before with a 1/3-mile high banked dirt
              oval with concrete walls and some tires to mark the inside. They had some
              rain during the week and it appears they may have tried to plant some new
              infield grass and that area had standing water to greet anyone pulling or
              spinning off the track and there were many that had to be pulled out by
              the wrecker throughout the night. Car counts were good with 33 modifieds,
              20 Grand National late models, 10 sportmods, 12 street stocks and 14
              legends. The track was dry slick and racing started with the 4 modified
              heats that turned into a crash fest and it took over an hour to run 4
              races. The track uses a point invert for starting lineups and that does
              usually provide good racing. The Grand Nationals were the first of the
              20-lap features and after 6 yellows in the first 10 laps the pink flag was
              thrown. The pink means that the next yellow will end the race but somehow
              the drivers managed to race 10 laps clean and the race was ended with the
              traditional checkered flag at the full distance. Kenny Richards won over a
              closing Jeff Steenbergen and Roger Lee all three of which started in the
              4th and 5th rows. The street stocks ran the only race without a caution as
              Brandon Reidner won from the pole with 5th starter Jeff Jungwirth crossing
              in second place. The legends had 3 yellows as Joe Johnson came from 9th to
              win over Brandon Schmitt from 5th. The sportmods had 4 yellows and the
              last one flew after the white flag had been displayed so the yellow and
              checkers came out ending the race with 4th starter Zeke Bishofberger
              enjoying a lead over Matt Bedker. The modifieds finished out the races
              with only 2 yellows in the feature. Don Scheffler started 7th and raced in
              the outside groove to claim the win over Dave Schoenberger from 8th and
              Jeremy Christians from 13th. The races were done at 10:20PM and I was on
              my way home.

              Ed