#1298 &1299 Scott County Fair Scottsburg, IN

  • ejesser@jvlnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hi All,
      Wednesday morning I was on the road again, this time with a start in
      Indiana at the Scott County Fair in Scottsburg. I had been to the Scott
      County Speedway for an enduro years ago on the 3/8 mile dirt oval but
      tonight would be a special fair event listed as autocross but a surprise
      would be in store for me. They were using only half of the straightaway of
      the oval with a temporary course marked by big tires that would make about
      a 1/10-mile off road course with a jump on the straightaway and the
      backstretch. The turns were marked with three big tires inside and the
      “jumps” were marked with tires so that you must go over the jump area to
      be scored for the lap. The surprise came when the small cars were brought
      out for the figure eight feature and used the same layout except the did
      the “X” by going in the center between the tires that mark the jumps. This
      made for a narrow crossover area but they made all 15 laps without any
      major incidents at the “X”. There were lost of stands with a long 15-row
      wooden grandstand and 4 rows of chair seats in front of the grandstand and
      then parking and a stands in the infield of the 3/8 mile that gave you a
      backstretch seat for the temporary track. The outside of the temporary
      track was the concrete of the straightaway wall and tires in the turns and
      a dirt embankment on the grass infield of the big track. They had minimal
      lights that were not needed tonight and the speaker was placed at the top
      of the grandstand so that it was very loud if you sat close. Races started
      at 7:30PM and were done by 9PM. The fields were small with 9 big cars and
      10 small cars. The night started with Shannon Smith and Marty Turner
      winning the big car heats in the autocross track. Next was the surprise
      event with the small car 15-lap feature on the figure eight track. The
      race went non-stop with Jason Barnes coming from 4th to win over Phil
      Barnes from the pole. The big cars then went for 25 laps on the autocross
      and after a red for a lost wheel on the 10th lap the cars were being
      disabled from the abuse of the jumps and only three completed the race.
      Smith took the win from his pole start with Brad Bex second and David
      Morris across in third. The small cars ran a 15-lap autocross feature with
      Tyler White coming from 7th to claim the win over Derek Clegg who was
      struggling with steering after the airbag went off on one of the jumps
      early in the race. The small cars (8 of them) then had a demo to end the
      night with David Richardson a winner and giving me time to walk through
      the fair another time as it was only 9PM.

      #1298 7/14/10 Scott County Fair - Scottsburg, IN - 1/10 dirt off road -
      stocks
      #1299 7/14/10 Scott County Fair - Scottsburg, IN - 1/10 dirt figure eight
      - mini stocks

      Ed