New Track News--Kentucky

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2010
      TrackChasers:

      Fellow racing columnist Dustin Jarrett emailed me with news of a new track in Kentucky. According to Justin:

      "The track is called"Lucky 7 Speedway" and it is apparently located on Kentucky SR 7 nearColson, KY, just NE of Isom. The track is supposedly a 1/4-mile whichraces Limited Late Models, Open Wheel Modifieds, Bombers, and Four Cylinders. Note that this is not the same as 191 Speedway (in Compton, KY) which openedlast Fall. Here's a link to the Eastern KY Racing message board that may bea little more resourceful: http://eastkyracing.proboards.com/index.cgi"

      Go get it, TrackChasers!

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2013
        TrackChasers:

        Chump Car has an October 18-19 endurance race scheduled on a new paved road circuit called NCM Motorsports Park, currently under construction in Bowling Green, KY.

        Guy Smith
      • rpmgordy
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2013
          Cool beans. Chump Car is still the best bet to turn me into a road racing fan. By the by, NCM stands for National Corvette Museum. Plans to build the park were spoke of in various car magazines I receive earlier in the year. The grand opening is scheduled for Labor Day weekend to correspond with the 20th anniversary of the museum. This is the first planned race I heard of. I never mentioned it before because when it comes to new race tracks, the best laid plans rarely meet their time table or actually occur. Let's hope for the best. Plans call for 2 and 1.1 mile circuits that can be combined into a 3.15 mile length featuring elements of other famous courses incorporated into the layout. The plans look great. I hope it happens.

          Gordy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 28, 2014
            TrackChasers:

            The "Top Dog Promotions" schedule for 2014 appears to have NINE oval dirt tracks that do not appear on any list of currently active or all-time auto racing tracks.  These are four cylinder stock car races.

            As best as I can figure out, several years ago Top Dog tried figure-8 racing as an event at some of their demo derbies.  I went by myself to one of their races in 2012 while in Ohio with Pam when she was teaching at Ohio University, a July show at the Owen County Fairgrounds during the fair.  They did not have a lot of success drawing entries for the figure 8 races.  The event I was at had only four or five cars.

            Last year, they switched the racing from figure 8 to oval track racing and have done much better.  This year's schedule on their FB page indicates racing at nine different locations.

            Mike and I went to the first scheduled race at Grant County Fairgrounds only to find the place all locked up.  Mike called the Top Dog himself and he said the fair canceled the race the day before due to wet grounds, although Top Dog did not update their FB page to indicate that until after the event was to begin.

            Two weeks later, Mike, Rick Schneider, and I went to the event at the Owen County Fairgrounds.  That one started about two and a half hours late, but they did have plenty of cars for the racing.  I think they had five heats and a feature, although it was after 11:00 when the first heat began.

            The fairgrounds locations and dates they are scheduled to race are as follows (all in KY except the one noted):

            04/05, 07/26, 08/01  Grant County
            04/19, 07/18  Owen County
            05/09-10, 06/14  Carroll County
            06/21, 09/13  Alexandria Fairgrounds
            07/03  Trimble County
            07/12  Vevay, Indiana
            07/15-16,   Kenton County
            07-19  Franklin County
            08/02  Oldham County

            In addition, there is a possibility of a tenth track as the Scott County Fair show on 06/28 says Classes TBA.  There are also a couple of Fall shows at above locations that do not yet have either dates or classes announced.

            I gave a printout of the schedule to Rick Schneider who is planning on making several of the shows.  It will be interesting to see who else shows up at any of these races now that the schedule has been posted on the TrackChaser listserve.

            Before attending, I would strongly recommend checking their FB page to look for updates or changes, or call the Top Dog to confirm the four cylinder oval track stock car racing will be taking place.

            Enjoy,

            Guy Smith

          • Peter Hollebrand
            Message 5 of 8 , May 28, 2014
              Thanks for the info, we all appreciate as much of this type information as possible, it gives all of  us possible targets to at least strive for,  PJ

              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2014
                Thanks Guy for posting. As my healing continues to progress I have added all of these venues to my hit list as they are too close to home to pass up. Anybody coming to these let me know and maybe we can meet up at one of these shows. If I learn of any changes or cancellations I will post the info. Dave
              • rpmgordy
                Message 7 of 8 , May 30, 2014
                  Dave,

                       I hope to take you up on this sometime this summer. But only so long as it doesn't interfere with your healing process. It sounds like that process is progressing as we are all hoping for, and that's much more important than any new track. Take care, bro'.

                  Gordy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17
                    TrackChasers:

                    Indoor s