2010 Week 7

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010

      I made it to two ice races this past weekend, although for the third straight weekend my races were not at new tracks for me.

      For awhile, Mike and I considered going to Outback Speedway in SC for Champ Karts. I decided against that for two reasons. One, the weather in SC was predicted to drop into the 20's on both Friday and Saturday night. I didn't want to get into the situation Randy did last month, sitting around at the track all day only to have the surface freeze before the Champ Kart feature. Two, by not heading south to get one new track for myself, I could still help Mike get one, and help Pam get two. I couldn't think of a better Valentine present. In the end, my instincts were good, as Outback canceled their $500 to win Champ Kart event.

      Saturday Pam and I went to Waneta Lake in NY to see the CNYIRA club race. Gordy, Will, and I first went here in 2001. Since Gordy and I first saw CNYIRA race at Honeoye Lake in 1994, they have never really flourished, sometimes going the entire winter without getting a race in the books. However, to their credit they soldier on. This year their schedule shows six locations where I have yet to see them race, but they probably have no intention of actually racing at any of them. So far this year they have one race in the books on land at Black Rock, and one weekend on the water at Waneta. They only had a dozen cars in competition, five in the faster class and seven in the other. Waneta is not the best place for spectators, as you are not allowed to drive on the lake, nor is there anywhere to park on land where you can watch from the car. We walked out onto the lake to watch the races.

      Sunday, Mike joined Pam and I at Warner Lake. This was another one that Will, Gordy, and I went to together, back in 2000. This was an AMEC show. AMEC is having a great season, racing for five consecutive weekends on five different lakes. If they can follow their schedule for the next two weekends, they will have run seven weekends in a row at seven different lakes. At this lake, you can drive right out on the lake and watch from the car if you choose to do so. Mike decided to watch from the car, Pam and I went out to watch from the ice. At Summit Lake, where Paul and I went the week before, they had 47 cars. This week it was 46. Clearly AMEC is a club on very solid ice.

      Pam and I enjoyed both events. There is no admission charge for either club. As both clubs start racing in the morning, on both days we got home in time to get in a workout together in our home gym, and watch some Winter Olympics by the fireplace before bed.

      Not only have I now been to ice racing at over 50 locations, I now have been to repeat visits at different ice tracks more than ten times. However, it does appear that by skipping Saint Damase two weeks ago and skipping Baie Comeau this coming weekend that I will only get one new ice track this year. I do plan another ice race in two weeks, my third trip to Lake George and the Winter Carnival. I'm still an ice race fan.

      This coming week Mike and I are planning on heading south if the weather looks good. Another all-day 700-800 entry kart extravaganza awaits us. Should be a great weekend on the road with the Iron Man.

      Guy Smith

      2010 Summary

      Weeks Racing--6 of 7
      Weeks with New Tracks--3 (plus 1 more with Pam)
      New Tracks/Goal--9 0f 100 (Guy 6/50, Pam 5/50)
      Total Tracks--10
      Total Events--10
      Total States--4 (AZ, MI, NJ, NY)

      Lifetime Total Tracks--1,255

    • Rick Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010
        I've just spotted a new Quebec ice racing track scheduled for this coming weekend, close to the US border.
        More info in both French and English can be found on the FSAQ web site
        www.fsaq.qc.ca

        Rick

        HAPPENING SUR GLACE DE LA FSAQ!
        À la demande de plusieurs pilotes, la FSAQ organise un événement de courses sur glace samedi le 20 février prochain à St-Armand (Philipsburg)sur le Lac Champlain. Vous trouverez ci-joint le formulaire d'inscription ainsi que le règlement particulier. En raison des conditions météo pouvant causer l'annulation de l'événement, une confirmation (ou avis d'annulation) sera affichée sur notre site le jeudi 18 février prochain.

      • Rick Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2010
          I have just heard that the annual Clarence Creek ( Ontario) Ice races are scheduled for this Sunday ( 21 Feb) starting at noon, for anyone who missed it before
          Rick