2009 Summary / New Year Wishes

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009

      Here's a quick summary of my 2009 TrackChasing season.

      Races in all 12 months for the 23rd straight year.
      Races in 48 of the first 49 weeks of the year. I was sick week 7.
      40 weekends with a new track, including 25 in a row. 44 weekends with a new track for either Pam or myself.
      62 new tracks for me, 73 new tracks for Pam. Easily met my goal of 50-52.
      Amazingly, only ONE of my 62 new tracks was spent alone without another ranked TrackChaser. It's great to have so many friends in the hobby.
      8 for 8 in making the goal of 50 new tracks. Always try to not go too many over that so I don't run out too many years before I retire.
      93 different countable tracks including new and not new. The 93 different tracks were at 84 facilities.
      89 racing "events" on 81 different days.
      Races in 19 US States and 3 Canadian Provinces. I saw a new track in all of those regions except Maryland and New Hampshire.
      The closest region I did not visit was Delaware, where we were rained out at Georgetown.
      Only 2 trips via air. The rest were all by car.
      Total tracks now 1,249. Dropped from second to third to the Mighty Ed Esser. Still the most ever for anyone under age 60 and under age 50.

      Here's my top 10 new tracks for 2009 for TrackChasing purposes.

      1. Dunkin Donuts Center, RI. It took 34 years to get three RI tracks to tie Pappy.
      2. Wachusett Valley Riders Club, MA. Gordy, Will, and I were shut out there years ago. Finally got another chance. Tied Pappy in this state too. First or tied in all six New England states.
      3-4. Thunder Valley and Avondale in Newfoundland. Now we have all three in NF, an expensive and rainy island to visit.
      5. Northwest FL Speedway. Flew to Pensacola for an Orlando vacation two years in a row to get this one.
      6-8. Three new tracks in New Jersey (New Egypt off road, Corson's, Avenger). At one time I thought I could never catch Pappy in this state, but I got six of the 14 needed in the past two years. You never know.
      9. Thunderbowl of Ocala, FL. It's always been hard for me to get info on this motorcycle track, and I lucked into them having car racing when we were in Orlando on vacation.
      10. Georgia Karting Komplex. Finally after a total of 48 hours of driving there and back four times. This one was really starting to piss me off.

      My TrackChasing goals for 2010.

      1. Try to get 50-52 new tracks again this year, year nine. I think I can do it at least one more year.
      2. Go to a race in each month.
      3. Get to my 1,250th track before turning 50. I only need one track and have almost two months to do it.
      4. Go to a new state with Pam. I've been to them all but she has only been to 38, I believe.
      5. Respect Pam's wish to cut back on new tracks, but still try to help her get 50 new ones as well, but only if she wants to.
      6. Continue to write my column in Area Auto Racing News for the 30th consecutive year.
      7. Continue to operate the TrackChaser Listserve to facilitate growth of our hobby.
      8. Continue to opearte by the prinicples that we are supposed to be friends first and always share new track information that might help others in the group enjoy the hobby.
      9. Continue to support Will White with both his TrackChaser and Auto Racing Records websites.
      10. Go on great TrackChasing trips with pals including Mike, Will, and Paul.

      The single track I would most like to knock off my HitList in 2010 is Lake Doucette Speedway, NS. We were rained out there, then it closed. It opened for one race at the end of 2009. If they race in 2010, I'd like to be there.

      PAM AND I WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY ALL OF YOUR TRACKCHASING WISHES COME TRUE.

      Guy Smith
      Soon to be "Former" West Virginia State TrackChasing Champion

      =

    • Bruce.A.Spencer@hitchcock.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
        Guy,

        Your recap reminded me that Twin State Speedway in Claremont NH is constructing a 1/8 mile high banked asphalt kart track in the infield. I saw the track roughed out in October and it looks good. The web site doesn't say what divisions will be running, but conventional wisdom would make me think that at some point they would have countable champ kart type racing.

        Thanks,
        Bruce Spencer

        http://www.twinstatespeedway.net/gokart/