Tri-State Speedway (OK): Track #202

  • terrapin44
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
      A while back I booked a flight so I could see I-30 Speedway's 22nd Annual O'Reilly Short Track Nationals (for ASCS sprints) in Little Rock, Arkansas. The main reason for choosing this race besides being able to use Frequent Flyer miles is that Arkansas is one of four states I haven't seen a race in yet. As i turns out, heavy rains and a bleak forecast had them push the 3 day event back a week. Probably a good move for most fans and racers, but with the large change fees the airlines charge, it wasn't good for me. Thanks to TrackChasers I found a few other options. Of the options, I decided to go to Drew County Speedway in Monticello, AR on Saturday since it was the only track in Arkansas I could find that planned to race, but Friday evening I found out they cancelled due to the heavy rains (and local flooding) as well.

      This left me with plan B, a Super Late Model race that was a joint non-point race for the MARS and the Show Me series at Tri-State Speedway about 3/4 mile across the Arkansas border in Oklahoma. Talk about rubbing it in! As fate would have it though it ended up being a really nice track, surface wise (though the stands could use a bit of help). They started right on time at 7:00pm and the $15 admission wasn't bad considering the special SLM race. Most of the heats had either 0 or 1 yellow flag. After a reasonable intermission, the 2 B mains for the 29 Super Late Models were on tap. They went right into features for pro stocks, roadrunners, and modifieds before the Super Late Models. I normally would have liked to see the main class first or second but because the show was well run this wasn't a problem.

      While their wasn't a lot of battling up front in the SLM race, Billy Moyer Jr., Bill Frye and a few others passed a number of cars to move up towards the front (but not all the way to the front). The race had only a few cautions and I was in my car exiting the speedway grounds about at 10:00 pm after the SLM feature ended. I skipped the 4cyl finale as I had a 2.5 hour ride back to Little Rock.

      Considering a nice track and a well run show, I as surprised the stands didn't have more people in them. However, it must be tough competing against home games for Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Arkansas. Also another track not too far away also running the 2nd day of a two day show which probably kept away some modifieds and stocks, along with some fans.

      I didn't get to put a check mark next to Arkansas but I did see a good race and made it to track #202.
    • Bruce.A.Spencer@hitchcock.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
        Ed,

        You won't believe this but I was there last night. My wife and I are
        down in Rogers, Arkansas visiting my daughter and son-in-law, and
        meeting our new granddaughter. Last night my wife and daughter
        insisted I drive to go shopping. Eighty minutes later we're pulling
        into Tri-State Speedway as my surprise birthday present.

        I enjoyed the show, it's a reasonably well run 3/8 mile, slicked over
        dirt track. Started on time, minimal yellows, though I would have
        held the flag on a couple of those, and I don't know what the deal
        was on one of the red lights.

        Intermission was a little long, but not bad. I would have made those
        5 car support division heat races into one heat for 10 cars for 15
        laps. The main was a decent race with the second place finisher
        making a try for first in the closing laps.

        All in all a great night at the races, especially considering I got to
        go with my wife who I'm lucky to get out to the track once every
        couple of years, and it's been and my daughter who hasn't been since
        she was 10.

        Sorry I missed ya Ed, maybe some ice racing this winter?

        Thanks,
        Bruce Spencer