Re: [TrackChasers] Figure 8s

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2001
      Allan,

      Thanks for the figure 8 schedule.

      You wrote:
      > I grew up with the main class ALWAYS running last, didn't know there was an
      > option, and besides because Berlin knew how to run an efficient show, the
      > races were over early and much of the crowd would go into the pits
      > afterwards to visit with the drivers. That doesn't work at tracks if the top
      > class runs first, as they are usually loaded up and gone before the fans are
      > even allowed in the pits.

      You raise a valid point. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly when I wrote that some
      tracks have a bad habit of running the top class last all the time. But I did mean that
      it IS a bad habit to do that when you run 5, 6 and 7 division shows that go on for
      several hours. It's fine if you run a nice 3 hour, 2 or 3 division show that's over in
      time for families to still be awake to go into the pits after it's over.

      My memories of youth also involved often going into the pits after the races and seeing
      the top drivers. Of course at Reading there was only one class most of the time so it
      wasn't a problem.

      Will
    • Allan Brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
        Randy,

        Thanks for the website on figure 8 racing. I emailed the fellow and gave him
        a bunch more tracks to check into.

        Allan
      • Allan Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2002
          Randy,

          No we do not ask if they run Figure 8s, but when the tracks respond back
          with the classes they do run, they normally notify us if they do run figure
          8s.

          Plus we get the schedules for many of the tracks and when I load them onto
          my database I check to see if they run Figure 8s or other specials. That's
          where I saw the Bus Figure 8s for DeSoto. I have 1500 race dates loaded in
          the data base so far, and I've only begun.

          Allan
        • Randy Lewis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2002
            Allan,

            Do you have any way of sharing your race schedule data
            base? I know you use Apple computuers but maybe a
            text file of some sort would work. What do you think?

            Randy

            --- Allan Brown <speedways@...> wrote:
            > Randy,
            >
            > No we do not ask if they run Figure 8s, but when the
            > tracks respond back
            > with the classes they do run, they normally notify
            > us if they do run figure
            > 8s.
            >
            > Plus we get the schedules for many of the tracks and
            > when I load them onto
            > my database I check to see if they run Figure 8s or
            > other specials. That's
            > where I saw the Bus Figure 8s for DeSoto. I have
            > 1500 race dates loaded in
            > the data base so far, and I've only begun.
            >
            > Allan

            Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
            http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
          • Allan Brown
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
              Guy,

              Did Rick mention how big the figure 8 track at Fonda was?

              I'm trying to figure out the sizes to add for the history book.

              FYI: The double figure 8 tracks of Jay's work out to about 1/14 mile. 150
              foot long from center of the end tires.

              While the single figure 8s of Sonny Halls work out to about 1/20 mile. 100
              foot long from center of the tires.

              Allan
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
                In a message dated 11/8/02 7:45:47 AM, speedways@... writes:
                << Guy, Did Rick mention how big the figure 8 track at Fonda was?>>

                Nope.
              • Allan Brown
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                  Guy,

                  With the addition of the Ontario figure 8 tracks it make exactly 200 figure
                  8 tracks in the US and Canada that ran (that we know of so far anyway)

                  Allan
                • Allan Brown
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Will,

                    Good finds.

                    I stopped at the fairgrounds in Council Bluffs in September, and there was
                    no indication that they held a figure 8 event in 2002 or before. I knew the
                    Council Bluffs fairgrounds held a figure 8 race in 1984. That is why I
                    stopped, but these makeshift courses are sometimes real hard to tell. I
                    stopped at the West Branch (MI) fairgrounds (Andy S went to it this summer)
                    a couple of months ago. I could see where there was an area large enough to
                    hold a figure 8 race, but there wasn't any indication there was ever one.
                    All the barriers had been moved 500 foot from the arena.

                    Also the Cincinnati (Cartage) fairgrounds is listed in the History book as
                    running in 1936 on a 1/2 mile oval. I confirmed that the town of Cartage no
                    longer exists by checking the zipcode directory. It was incorporated into
                    Cinci years ago, but it's obvious the locals still call it Cartage. We have
                    a number of small communities like that near Grand Rapids.

                    202 and counting.

                    Allan
                  • Allan E Brown
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 16, 2004
                      Will,

                      Nice find on the four Ontario Figure 8 tracks.

                      I received an email from Grant Young and he mentioned that they never raced
                      figure 8s at Ohsweken Speedway. Oh, they wanted to, but it never happened,
                      but he did say they do run figure 8s & demos at a different location on the
                      same Indian Reservation, but it is about 5 miles from the regular track.

                      If my caculations are correct for 2004

                      MI - 39 figure 8 tracks
                      IA - 30 figure 8 tracks
                      ON - 27 figure 8 tracks
                      NE - 17 figure 8 tracks
                      PA - 16 figure 8 tracks

                      I show a total of
                      US -228 figure 8 tracks
                      CN - 30 figure 8 tracks

                      Allan
                    • William White
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 16, 2004
                        Allan,

                        Do you have Miramichi City Speedway in New Brunswick included in your
                        Canadian figure eights? I recently discovered that they have been running
                        figure eight races at their shows. I was planning to go there the other week
                        but it turns out they are only running every other Saturday and that was
                        there week off.

                        I didn't find 4 more Ontario F8 tracks, as far as I know just 3. Gooderham
                        and Minden ran this year, Markham ran in 2003. I haven't gotten a response
                        to my inquiry about this year's Kingston and Markham DDs and they might not
                        have F8s at them.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2005
                          In a message dated 8/3/05 11:27:57, ranlay@... writes:

                          << I would be interested to know how many "county fair" figure 8 shows were
                          seen by people before this rule change. I would imagine that total was very
                          very small. I don't know if I even knew that county fairs ran figure 8 races
                          before our rule change and I'm not sure I would have thought a figure 8 show at
                          a county fair even counted before we "added" figure 8s. >>

                          I think you are correct, Randy, that not many people had been to a lot of the
                          county fair figure 8's before the rule change. But, I don't think that the
                          huge increase in TrackChasers attending these shows has that much to do with
                          the rule change. I think that it just so happens that at around the time of the
                          rule change, two things happened. One, the whole idea of figure 8 racing
                          took off as there started to be a shortage of big real wheel drive cars that were
                          suitable for a demo derby, so the derby companies started trying to sell
                          fairs a derby show for one night and a figure 8 race for another, as the small
                          four cylinder front wheel drive cars were more suited for this than for
                          destruction derby's. And two, I think this was just about the time when the idea of a
                          website being a necessity started to filter down to smaller businesses like
                          race tracks, derby companies, and fairs. As more and more of these types of
                          races were discovered, more of us in the group started looking for them, and
                          reporting them to the rest of the group, who of course started attending them. I
                          remember hearing on the radio just a few years ago that the Kansas City Royals
                          were the last Major League Baseball team that did not have a website. Today,
                          even a lot of little league teams have websites.

                          In fact, here is one figure 8 show that we have not heard about before.
                          Unfortunately, it is this Friday, which precludes me attending as I already have
                          plans, and doesn't give others much time to plan either. And even worse, it is
                          an R&R show, which means just about the worst possible quality figure 8
                          racing you can find.

                          Otsego County Fair
                          Morris, NY
                          Figure 8 Demo
                          Friday, August 5
                          7:00 p.m.

                          Hope this info is helpful and someone can get there, maybe Paul & Eleanor or
                          P. J.