weekend was good till 1 am today

  • mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      The weekend was one of the best I have had in a long while. Great racing, seeing Allan and Fred go into the hall of fame, meeting up with Brian for a full Sunday. The weekend could not have all good memories. I am sitting at the airport for over 5 hours not due to a delay but because I chose to. Last night 1 mile from the rest stop that I was going to stop at for a few hours to kill time super driver was not super. Driving route 80 at a slow 70 mph 3 deer decided to test my skills. I missed the first 2 barely but I spooked the 3rd one when I had to lock them up. She headed straight for me and when I hit her her head was aside of my head only seperated by the drivers side window. She tore the front fender up bad and was caught in it as I slid sideways to a halt nearly going down the 10 foot bank. We had eye contact forever it seemed. We both knew we made a mistake. The 2 trucks and 1 car that barely missed me sped by to avoid piling up. I feel terrible and keep running it through my head what I could have done different to save the deer. I sat on the side of the road for nearly a half hour and then drove the car to a rest area to catch a nap. That did not go well so it was off to the airport to fill out the papers. I will remember the deer and her eyes more then anything else on the trip.
      Mike
    • Allan Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
        Mike,

        Sorry to hear about your incident with the deer. They come out of nowhere don't they.

        We all feel sad for the deer, but things could be worse. Last night on our way back from Knoxville we split at Benton Hardor, Nancy took her carload north towards Holland, while I continued west to Kalamazoo to drop off the people riding with me. Nancy said she came upon an accident. There was a dead deer aside the road, and across the highway was a fellow laying there with people attending to him. The police was just arriving when she went past. Down the road about 700 feet was a motorcycle on it's side. Can you imagine hitting a deer while you're riding a motorcycle when you're traveling 70 miles per hour. Not good.

        Allan