Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [TrackChasers] #702--Hafnarfjörður, Icel and

Expand Messages
  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Will, Very interesting report, as always. You re comment on both the economic and political situation was totally accurate. Just one thing to add: the economic
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2009
    • 0 Attachment

      Very interesting report, as always. You're comment on both the economic and political situation was totally accurate. Just one thing to add: the economic situation in Iceland is now so dire the new government has posted its candidature to join the European Union. One more reason for me to get this country on my list as well some day.


      From: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Will White
      Sent: 29 April 2009 04:01
      To: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TrackChasers] #702--Hafnarfjörður, Iceland

      Iceland is one of those rather unusual trackchasing countries that I've
      wanted to visit for a number of years. However, since the last Icelandic
      Rallycross Championship was held in 2003, the rallycross racers had
      encountered political issues with the owner of the Kapelluhraun circuit
      in Hafnarfjörður and were forced to cancel all championship events
      through 2008. Last November, Roland noticed that the track was again
      available and an unofficial race meeting had been held, with a full
      schedule again put in place for 2009. Although aware of the risk they
      may cancel again this year, I checked into airfares and noted that the
      opening date of April 25th would be the least expensive time to go.
      After considering a couple other new country options I decided to take a
      chance on Iceland. Randy had also mentioned it as a possibility,
      although his schedule often changes by the minute, but I figured if they
      did run there should at least be one TrackChaser on hand to claim to be
      the first. Well, not only did the rallycross go on as planned, but both
      of us were in attendance.

      Although recently considered the country with the highest overall living
      standard, Iceland was hit extremely hard by the economic crisis last
      year when their 3 biggest banks had to be taken over by the government.
      Unemployment, which was nearly non-existent, shot up to about 10% and
      the country was bailed out by the International Monetary Fund. I know
      this is Roland's area of expertise and he can correct and elaborate if
      he chooses. Anyway, bottom line for me was that Iceland, which is
      usually one of the most expensive places in the world to visit, had its
      currency lose nearly half its value compared to the dollar and is now a
      much more affordable destination for the average traveler. That fact,
      combined with the return of countable racing made it the perfect time
      for me to add Iceland to my list.

      --FRIDAY, APRIL 24TH, 2009--

      It had taken a bit of persistence to book my seat on an Icelandair
      flight from JFK to Keflavik International Airport. The first few times I
      was shown a couple seats still available, then repeatedly received a
      "sold out" notification when I would try to make the booking. Finally I
      did manage to get through and procured a reservation for the 8:35 pm
      flight. This would be my first experience with an international flight
      not serving complimentary meals or snacks, but the experience with
      Icelandair was otherwise very good. I packed a couple of sandwiches and
      enjoyed one on the flight and the other at the hotel the next morning.
      The airline were very punctual (although air traffic delayed our
      takeoff) and economy class legroom was exemplary.

      --SATURDAY, APRIL 25TH, 2009--

      With about a 6 hour flight and Iceland being 4 hours ahead of Eastern
      Daylight Time, the arrival was at about 7:00 am. The single terminal
      Keflavik Airport was built by the US during WWII. It's too bad they
      didn't build it a little closer to the greater Reykjavik area, since
      there is still very little in the 25 miles of space between the two.
      Although the vast majority of inhabitants own a personal vehicle, a $100
      taxi ride to and from the airport to the city just won't cut it for most
      visitors. Luckily there is Flybus. This regular service has a bus
      waiting at the airport terminal exit door after each arriving
      international flight and everyone is guaranteed a seat, for a price. The
      normal roundtrip to Reykjavik's bus terminal is about $23, but for a
      little more you can be dropped off and picked up at any of a number of
      area hotels and guesthouses. I used my bank debit card in the automated
      ticket machine next to the exit and was good to go.

      Over half the country's population live in the Reykjavik metro area and
      Hafnarfjörður is the third largest town. A half hour bus ride had me
      outside the ugly, red, square, Hotel Hafnarfjörður, located on the north
      side of this town of 25,000 and 5 miles south of the capital city. Like
      this modern building (the hotel was built in 2005), most of the newer
      architecture in the town is very boxy and drab looking. Many of the
      individual dwellings do have a much more inviting appearance however.
      The climate year round is quite mild for an island of such latitude (the
      northern end of the island is just below the Arctic Circle) and the
      weather this day was not unlike many early spring days back home
      (although a lot cooler than our current heat wave).

      I chose the Hotel Hafnarfjörður mainly for its price (an April special
      offered the smallest single room at about $39.) and the fact that the
      Flybus would drop me off there on its way to Reykjavik. Apparently the
      hotel was at low occupancy and thus I was surprised to find my room
      already available for use when I arrived at 8:00 am. I figured the races
      would begin sometime later in the morning. I was between 4 and 5 miles
      from the track and had found a local bus that would take me all but the
      last mile and a quarter or so. However I soon found that you really had
      to be on top of things with these buses because they sure don't fool
      around. I exited the hotel about 3 minutes before the next bus was due
      to arrive at the nearby stop. As I was about to cross the street near
      the stop, the bus came zooming right by without even slowing down to see
      if I wanted to get on. I'd have thought since he was running early he
      should have at least given me a chance. I guess that's why he was
      running early. Oh well, if they want to play games with me I'll show
      them. I just decided I'd walk all the way to the track, which I did.

      It was about 40 degrees, mostly cloudy and with only slight wind, very
      nice for a morning walk as far as I was concerned. My route took me
      first downhill into the center of town, past the harbor and shopping
      district, then uphill again to the new building developments at the
      south end of town. The streets were surprisingly empty. The natural
      landscape consists of lava rock and snow covered mountains which, along
      with the many geothermal hot springs, make Iceland appear, as Randy
      stated, a cross between the Big Island of Hawaii and Wyoming.
      Hafnarfjörður is built on lava rock and is, as Icelandic legend would
      have it, home to a large population of elves which are said to inhabit
      the lava. I kept an eye out for any possible elf sightings as I walked

      Once I cleared the succession of ugly new apartment complexes and
      commercial buildings going up at the end of town, I trudged the final
      mile or so on a lonely two-lane highway that headed uphill into the
      nearest range of snowy mountains. To this lovely solitude was added a
      generous dose of relief when a rallycross car passed on the back of an
      open trailer. Soon after that another racer sped up the highway and
      turned in at the track's entrance without benefit of a hauler.

      I arrived at the track a few minutes past 10 and headed to the spectator
      side of the track. The part paved/ part gravel course was about 1/2 mile
      long. There were no amenities on site, although there was a small,
      abandoned, 2-story building in the spectator area that probably
      originally housed officials and perhaps concessions in the past. There
      were about 15 racers in the pits along with several track officials, but
      not much of anything seemed to be happening for quite a while. I was the
      only person on the spectator side for about an hour or so. Eventually a
      few other spectators arrived and then single car time trials took place.
      The cars were divided into 3 classes. One car ran all alone in the
      smallest engine class. The standard class had I believe 8 cars. The open
      class had 6 competitors, although 2 of those were actually buggies,
      which I was not really expecting to see in Iceland.

      Around the end of the time trial session I heard a feeble excuse for a
      car horn blowing from very nearby. I turned to my left and just a few
      yards away sat a very small car with a somewhat familiar looking
      occupant. It was none other than the big international trackchaser
      himself, Randy Lewis. During a break in the action, Randy bribed me into
      the car with a can of roasted almonds. We also crossed the track and
      checked out the small pit area, where Randy introduced me to his racing
      contact, who was one of the buggy drivers.

      Once the racing got underway we enjoyed 3 rounds of heats and in between
      each race we discussed a number of international and domestic topics. At
      one point, the conversation became "interesting" enough that it caused a
      few of the otherwise very stoic and reserved Icelanders to turn their
      heads. I've overcome some of my stubborn ways but a few areas obviously
      require more work. All in all it was quite a good day. Around 2:30 the
      third round of races finished up and they went into a break. Randy
      offered me a ride back to the hotel, but I was up for another 5 mile
      walk, so I declined and wished him luck as he set out on the second half
      of his intercontinental double.

      After returning to my room and resting for a while, I headed out for yet
      another walk, this time to see what inexpensive eating choices were to
      be found in the area. By now my feet were hurting a bit so I just tried
      a few blocks in each direction. In the end I decided I didn't want to
      eat at an American chain, of which there were Subway, KFC and Taco Bell,
      so I chose a local fast food joint, called Jolli. Nothing special, but
      they did have decent fries.

      Today was Iceland's national election day. After the economic collapse,
      the voters had enough of the center-right Independence Party and booted
      them out. A coalition of 2 center-left groups, the Social Democratic
      Alliance and the Left Green Movement, now hold the upper hand.
      Television options at the hotel were limited to a few Icelandic language
      ones, a few BBC ones, a couple movie channels and CNN.

      --SUNDAY, APRIL 26TH, 2009--

      The room was nice enough, but certainly not built with the average obese
      American in mind. The bed was very high off the floor and quite narrow,
      but luckily my fears of turning in my sleep and crashing to the floor
      were unfounded. The shower stall was so small I could barely turn around
      in it and touching my toes without opening the door first was completely
      out of the question. Making the low price an even better value was the
      decent breakfast buffet included. I expected the typical Nordic style
      breakfast of cold meats and cheeses, so that was no surprise. I'm not a
      big fan of luncheon style meat for breakfast, but toasting a couple
      slices of bread and making it into a sandwich with a cheese and bacon
      spread improved the situation adequately. Cereal, fruit, juice and
      coffee rounded out the lineup.

      With my departing flight not until late afternoon, I booked the latest
      Flybus of the day, which was 1:30 pm. Even this would get me to the
      airport too early but that was OK. I walked (more slowly today) a few
      more miles, checked out some other neighborhoods and watched some school
      football (soccer). I returned to the bus stop extra early and was
      prepared to hail the bus this time, but 1:30 came and went. I waited
      until 1:43 and started walking over toward the hotel. When I got about
      halfway there, the hotel receptionist came out and was walking towards
      me. When I was within earshot she told me the bus actually left
      Reykjavik at 1:30 and would be here within the next couple minutes, so I
      better rush back over and be ready to wave the bus down when it comes. I
      quickly did as she instructed.

      Back at Keflavik there was plenty of time to grab a few small souvenirs
      and have a nice, filling buffet dinner for less than 2000 ISK. There are
      now about 130 Icelandic kronor to the US dollar, so $15 for a variety of
      food at an airport cafeteria wasn't too bad. I sure didn't have to worry
      about eating during the flight back to New York. The touchdown just
      after 7:00 pm was met with a hearty round of applause from the
      passengers, the occasion being the final landing for the plane's
      captain, who was retiring after 39 years of service.

      As the month of April began, I didn't really expect to be visiting a new
      country quite this early in the year, but I'm glad I did. Will this be
      the end of my overseas travel for 2009? I honestly have no idea at this
      point, but it's good to know that if worst comes to worst I at least
      kept my annual streak going for another year.


      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

      "DISCLAIMER: The content of this e-mail message should not be
      construed as binding on the part of the National Bank of Belgium
      (NBB) unless otherwise and previously stated. The opinions
      expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not
      necessarily reflect NBB viewpoints, particularly when the content
      of this message, or part thereof, is private by nature or does not
      fall within the professional scope of its author."

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Will White
      Roland, I m sure it won t be long before you return to Iceland and this time not just for a layover. Will
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2009
      • 0 Attachment

        I'm sure it won't be long before you return to Iceland and this time not
        just for a layover.


        Vanden Eynde Roland wrote:
        > Will,
        > Very interesting report, as always. You're comment on both the economic and political situation was totally accurate. Just one thing to add: the economic situation in Iceland is now so dire the new government has posted its candidature to join the European Union. One more reason for me to get this country on my list as well some day.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.