Question for Allan

  • aritter@enter.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2001
      Allan my dad and I are possibly scheduled to be heading out to Grand
      Rapids MI on 4/20 to pick up our new motor at Baker engines. We would
      like to take in a friday night dirt track show on 4/20 before we pick
      up the motor and head back to PA on 4/21. So far I have found info on
      Thunderbird running a SOD show, and Winston running a regular show.
      Do you have any other suggestions?, possibly Hartford's info if they
      are running that night as they do not have a web sight. A lot may
      depend on how good of travel time we make driving the duallie out
      there and if the motor is done when they say it will be. Also among
      the shows running which would you reccommend? We have not yet been to
      any tracks in MI. Thanks in advance--Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
        Allan:

        What kind of cars did you say they raced at the Van Andel Arena in 2002?...I know I asked you at Smokey Bones, but I forget the answer...I'm doing my AARN column about DeltaPlex and would like to know what they raced at Van Andel....Thanks

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
          Allan

          I know you are busy working on the new NSD and won't be posting on-line much in the next month...But I was wondering how many brand new weekly oval track facilities that you knew of that were planning on opening this year?

          In the northeast, I know of Shangri La II....I was wondering if there were others out there or if that was it

          I see a trend of North America moving more towards Europe, with more racing on temporary tracks in the future, as operating a permanant single-purpose facility will become harder and harder to do profitably, but there are still plenty of people out there who want to race

        • Allan Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
            Guy,

            We only know of four new tracks that will probably open this summer. So far anyway.

            Along with Shangri-La II there are
            Shepp's Speedway in IL
            Ogilvie Raceway in MN
            RPM Speedway of Texas

            We know of another dozen or so "paper" tracks, but until any concrete evidence of construction is available, they will remain just a "paper" track.

            The good news is there are a number of tracks that are reopening including some that I thought were finished like Stockton, CA.

            Last year we dropped down below 1,000 US oval tracks for the first time since 1994. On the other hand the number of tracks a couple of years ago was still about 200 less than during the mid-1950's when jalopy tracks sprung up in fields across the country. But when you consider there was only 814 US oval tracks 25 years ago, we are still blessed.

            You are somewhat correct about the profitability factor, but that's only one of many factors that now come into play. In some states, governmental regulations have become a huge deterrent. Look at the problems that Kern County in CA have been experiencing. Overzealous government officials, along with escalating costs of construction, has put a halt to that project. As I understand it the funding for the project has also dried up, and now with the current down-turn in the economy the possibility of obtaining additional loans are next to impossible. Building a track to conform to present day regulations has become costly and time-consuming to say the least.

            That leaves us with existing tracks, or with the temporary tracks hosting what most people refer to as gimmick events. These events aren't meant for the hard-core race fan like us, but rather the curious on-looker. These temporary events are great if your trying to add numbers, but for most race fans who are looking for quality shows, they can leave a lot to be desired.

            I for one have started shying away from such events. In 2004 I went to 22 venues that I would not normally list in the Directory. The next year it was 15, By 2007 I was down to 8. Last year it was only 4, and three of them were return visits. At present I have about 100 races penciled in for this year. All are at tracks that are listed in the Directory, and most of the those are for the tried-and-true special events. A few years ago we passed up going to a figure 8 race at the Bremerton (WA) Fairgrounds. Instead we went to the Northwest Modified National at Grays Harbor, and I'm sure glad we did, because the races were great, and as it turns out it was the last time we got a chance to set with Gary Jacob.

            Allan

          • Vanden Eynde Roland
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
              Guy,

              I don't know if you hint at paved or dirt racing in the trend you see of
              North America moving more towards Europe. Regarding paved tracks, and
              more in particular road racing, I suppose the opposite took place. In
              Europe the last street and road races remaining are Monaco and Pau (the
              new for 2008 Valencia street races excepted). Attempts to drive on other
              street tracks have generally lasted only one to three years, while in
              the USA Champcars (and now IRL) has a history of many street races.

              If you mean dirt tracks, don't be misled by the Dutch and Belgian
              examples. Both countries boast only a handful of permanent tracks and
              almost entirely race in farmer's fields. But in all other European
              countries (except France, where there are lots of permanent as well as
              temporary dirt tracks) the vast majority of non paved racing as also on
              permanent tracks. The major difference is that there's no tradition of
              weekly races over here, most tracks only run one to five races a year.

              I do hope for all my American colleagues that you meant dirt tracks and
              your assumption of one off race tracks is right, for many of these
              meetings on temporary dirt tracks cater for a number of short races,
              that follow each other within minutes. Maybe the 'ideal' race meetings
              for some.

              Roland

              Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be