TrackChaser update

  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Message 1 of 331 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hello colleagues,

      After my very pleasant trip to the NEC, I had no firm trackchasing plans until the end of March. However, last week I saw a small advertisement for a racing car show at Liège (the largest city in the French speaking part of Belgium). It mentioned the launching of a new racing series on an outside part of the venue. Liège being only 70 miles from home and the show being organised by the same group that caters for the very interesting Luxemburg show, I attended in November 2007, made me decide to give this one a try as well.

      Last week had some dry but very cold weather in store and Sunday, February 1 was no exception. When I arrived at the Halles de Foire de Liège, it was - 3°C with a bitterly cold eastern wind. The exhibition part was very nice, with lots of interesting cars from all forms of motor racing. In fact, although smaller than the one at the NEC, it was much more varied. There was also a large indoor karting track, on which a celebrity karting competition was taking place. But all this was not the reason for my visit. The outside track, in between the exhibition halls, was my target. It was stone cold out there and only a few spectators had left the warm halls to assist at the launch of a new NASCAR flavoured saloon car series with identical 5.7 litre Fords, clad in Ford Fusion bodywork. This series is the idea of a former Belgian professional cyclist. They had three cars in attendance and drove a few short sprint races around a small concrete oval, delimited by some cones and large tractor tyres. The cars were way too big for the track, so I was not sure if this could be labeled races (there was no PA to tell us what we were seeing). Luckily, there was also an event for crosskarts. As usual, they were spectacular on paved surfaces. Liège being only 15 miles from the Dutch border, there even seemed to be a few Dutchmen in the field.

      I left after the crosskart race, for the cold wind was making spectating very unpleasant. I watched the karts for a while, before heading home. As for this new racing series, I don't think it will catch on. There have been a few tries to bring NASCAR style stock car racing to Europe. The least unsuccessful attempt has been ASCAR, but even in countries like the UK and the Netherlands, with a certain tradition of short paved ovals, these big V8's are no lasting crowd pleasers.

      Roland

      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

    • Vanden Eynde Roland
      Message 331 of 331 , Nov 12, 2013
        Hello colleagues,

        Long before I found out trackchasing ever existed, I had a habit of going to some late season races on southern French road courses. I've long since exhausted those new track opportunities, but still there are a few French road courses I have to visit. Last weekend I added a rather remarkable one to my portfolio.

        Why drive an entire day if a high speed train brings you there in half that time? Since I discovered the multitude of possibilities of the French high speed trains, I like to take advantage of their services whenever suitable. Unlike my two previous train travels, this time, I couldn't get round Paris, but still that wasn't such a problem. I boarded a train to Paris Nord just past 11.15 a.m. and 75 minutes later it got me to Paris. In the north station of Paris, I had 85 minutes to get to Paris Bercy station by underground. It only took me 25 minutes to do so and I had ample time to take my numbered seat on the train to Clermont-Ferrand. Another 90 minutes later I got there. I had booked a hotel (Hotel des Commerçants) only yards from the railway station. The weather was a little cold, but sunny and after a long walk I had enough of an appetite to go for an early steak dinner at a Hippopotamus. These are chain restaurants a bit reminiscent of Applebee's.

        On Saturday morning I got back to the railway station to fetch my hire car at Sixt. They gave an excellent rate and handed me a Renault Twingo with only 75 miles on the clock. Unlike in Montréal, I didn't add thousands of miles to it, as my target for the day was less than 35 miles from the town centre. The French tyre manufacturer Michelin has its roots in Clermont-Ferrand and the centrepiece of those roots is its research centre at Ladoux (Auvergne region). This complex, officially called "Centre de recherche Michelin de Ladoux", is a beauty. It's in lush green surroundings. Inside a 5 mile high speed trioval, it harbours several testing grounds for dry weather tyre testing, wet weather tyre testing, braking, etc. The dry weather testing is done on a 2770 metres long flat track with numerous corners. It is on this track that twice a year countable races are held. Last Saturday, two Porsche clubs (one local and one Swiss) held a sprint and endurance meeting. This being a tyre test track, it has neither pit lane nor specific paddock area. I had to park my hire car on a piece of concrete where trailers and cars of team members were parked. Another part of that concrete area was turned into an improvised pit lane. In the morning, they held three 20 minute sprint races for various Porsche classes, while after a two hour lunch break (although there was only a local hot dog stand to get food from), allcomers got on the track for a two hour endurance race. The twisty nature of the track made for good racing, but the track surface was rather slick and there were spins galore. But as this track was surrounded by large grassy runoff areas, no cars were severely damaged. Not being a great fan of Porsches (I like Ferraris and Maseratis better), I left halfway the endurance race and had a nice drive in the hills surrounding Clermont-Ferrand. The entire landscape consists of extinct volcanoes and it's really gorgeous. I got back into town at dusk, handed the car back in and after another nice dinner, I had a good night sleep.

        Sunday morning, I got on the train back to Paris. Just like on Friday, the journey went by smoothly. So much for my contribution to tracks in November, as the rest of the month will not involve any new trackchasing for me.