Arizona State Fairgrounds - Figure 8 -- Bruce # 581, Pat # 580

  • Bruce Eckel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      Friday, October 17 - It was a Friday night visit to the Arizona State Fair, one of the largest ones we have ever seen. We arrived early so we could walk around and take in the sights before venturing over to the large covered grandstands in the middle of the fair. That was not before we paid what we felt was a high $12 to park but admission to the fair was a reasonable $5 which included viewing of the figure 8 races scheduled for 7 PM that evening. If you look at it that way then $11 each was not too bad of a deal.

      We staked our claim to a seat directly across from the X on the figure 8 course and watched as the large grandstand filled with people by the 7:05 start of the night's racing. The track itself is of good size (Will has it listed at 1/8 while I could see 1/6 or 1/7 as a reasonable claim). Whatever the size the track was big enough to produce some good racing as opossed to a crash fest, demo derby type figure 8 that is the common in the northeast. Three entertaining heats were run for the 25 cars in attendence and most of them were very nice looking and must appear as street stocks, pure stocks or the such at other area tracks. A semi main followed and a consie wrapped up the qualifying before moving right into the 10 lap main event with 13 cars to start. The racing was fast and furious with minor scraps at the X but no major crashes. When it was over, Anthony Madrid, the 2008 IMCA modified point champion at Canyon Raceway stood in victory lane in his lookalike paint job to last year's Lucas Wolfe orange #5W and wouldn't you know it Madrid's car number was 5W also. Rene Madrid tried to track down Anthony from his 5th starting position but when it got close Anthony always got the breaks in traffic. Daniel Romero claimed third. The entire program was finished by 7:42, just 37 minutes after they started!!!

      Like they always say give the fans an entertaining show and get them back out on the midway to spend their money at a reasonable hour. Well, they sure did that!!!