Victory Lane Indoor Karting #45

  • bardahlspl
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      On Sunday, January 27 I saw my 45th track at Victory Lane
      Indoor Karting in Portland, Maine. I had the pleasure of joining top
      ranked east coast track chasers Gordy Killian, Mike Knappenberger,
      Guy Smith and Paul Wiesel. I detected no east coast bias. I also
      had the pleasure of having our youngest daughter Marissa joining me
      for what I believe is her 4th track. She was able to read an entire
      J.D. Robb novel during what was probably not a very exciting journey
      for her.

      As the name implies Victory Lane is an indoor facility in
      what is basically a Butler type building. The track is a cement
      floor oval which I would guestimate at 1/10 mile. The racing surface
      is bead blasted giving the track extra grip. No coke syrup is used,
      but competitors can use tire softener as long it's applied to the
      tires outside.

      Then inner and outer wall is a hard plastic about two feet
      high, backed by used tires, which in turn are backed at intervals by
      large cement blocks. Around here we would call them "mafia" blocks,
      no disrespect meant to organized crime. This serves to create
      a "soft" wall that doesn't move all over the place when contact is
      made. The flag stand is elevated and also has a green, yellow, red
      caution light at the stand. Several flaggers are posted around the
      perimeter of the track. Many karts pit in the infield, and there is
      a limited amount of pit space outside of turns 3 and 4. Like the big
      racers quite a few of the teams had enclosed trailers in the parking
      lot, a very short distance away.

      This event was part of a WKA winter blast series, and I
      believe the first event of this type that they've run. It showed.
      With a start time of noon, it was quite sometime before actual
      competition got underway. When the heat races did begin there was a
      significant time lapse between heats. One red flag resulted in
      competitors getting out of their karts, karts being worked on, and an
      overall long, unneeded delay. We finally saw countable champ kart
      racing somewhere around 4:30, and this was just their first heat.

      Action on the track was pretty good, with more passing and
      lapped traffic than I would have thought. Clearly some racers had a
      good handle on what was going on.

      Ventilation was good for an indoor show, though we spent most
      of our time in a raised, enclosed suite type area. It was nice to
      have it enclosed so that we could talk, but I did feel somewhat
      remote from the racing. Being the frugal Yankees that we are,
      Marissa and I ate heartily before leaving home, so I can't say much
      about the concessions. Marissa got a soda and some French fries with
      cheese on them (cheese fries?), they were about what you'd expect
      from track food. Some of the guys had burgers and said they were
      quite tasty.

      I didn't pay any admission. Paper signs directed us to the
      office, but after standing there for a couple minutes and being
      ignored I just when about my business. I didn't go into the infield
      or on the track surface, so maybe I didn't have to pay anyways.

      All in all it was a good day at the races in the middle of
      winter.

      Bruce Spencer
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        TrackChasers

        The JM figure 8 schedule is now on his website...The only new track is a tentative August 5 race at the Warren County Fair in Warren, PA...Check it out if you are interested in this type of racing and have not been to them all as of yet

        The other eastern fair figure 8 companies: TSP, B2B, and ODD do not have schedules posted yet