Victory Lane

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
      Greetings from your breadman,

      This past Saturday I joined Guy Smith, Paul Weissel and Mike
      Knappenberger for a trip to Maine to attend the first race in the
      Maine Winter Blast Series at the Victory Lane Indoor Kartway in
      Portland, ME. Actual racing was on Sunday, which enables us to enjoy
      a fine meal at Gilbert's on the Portland waterfront upon our arrival.
      This is a permanent 1/10th mile concrete oval inside a large building
      that is normally used for recreational and league racing. The NKA and
      5 of it's classes, including countable senior champkarts, for the
      first in what they hope is a long winter series. Welcome to another
      version of champkart Hell. This was one of the worst run shows I've
      ever been to. The owner hoped to have the whole show finished by
      5:00pm after a supposed noon start. They missed that by 90 minutes
      when they decided they would use transponders for scoring. They
      didn't have enough for everyone, so they had to switch them from
      class to class. When they realized that this would be time consuming,
      they decided to run each class's 2 heats consecutively. This made the
      first countable heat the 9th event instead of the 5th one. No event
      had less than a 15 minute break between them. Some cautions had
      similar breaks as karts were given any needed repair time after
      crashes or breakdowns. Absolutely nobody was intersted in moving
      things along. Every time I looked up during a break, the owner/race
      director could be seen conversing with any and everyone, totally
      uninterested in actually presenting some racing. Spectator viewing
      was done from an enclosed balcony above the 3rd and 4th turns. The
      owner passed through on numerous occasions for reasons known only to
      him. A DJ played music and gave occasional lineups on a number of
      loud speakers. In the interest of preserving the hearing of our
      group, I disconnected the speaker in the balcony which enabled us to
      converse. The highlight of the day was being joined by Bruce Spencer
      and his daughter which allowed us to trade stories with a new friend.
      Thanks, Bruce, for making a bad deal more tolerable. We finally got
      to leave at 4:45pm with a long ride ahead of us that guaranteed
      little or no sleep for all. With my advanced age and early work
      starting time and the rediculous price of gas, I vow to find and
      print directions to Guy's house that must surely reduce our driving
      time from the northeast by a minimum of 30 minutes. You'd think he'd
      know them himself by now. How long you living there now, bro'? Still
      fighting bronchitis, so I need to catch a little shuteye before
      heading back to breadworld. Adios.

      Gordy