[TrackChasers] Happy New Year

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
      TrackChasers,

      Get your final 2007 track additions in if you haven't already done so.
      I'll be updating the site at the end of the week.

      Although I don't agree with Allan's Mission Statement, it won the vote
      by a large margin and thus I agree to follow it.

      I hope everyone a very happy and healthy year in 2008.

      Will
    • rpmgordy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
        Greetings from your breadman,

        I spent the last few days of 2007 in GA and FL. I went to 1 NBA
        game and added 2 FL kart tracks in the process. A 3rd race in GA on
        the 29th was cancelled on the 27th in typical southern promotional
        fashion. I did manage to squeeze in a visit to my in-laws in FL
        between kart shows. Some would have you believe my travels are driven
        entirely by the quest for NGD points. Nothing could be farther from
        the truth. The illusion of such did give me many moments of
        satisfaction, as it drove it's creator nuts as he traveled far and
        wide in the quest for the Holy Grail he invented to motivate himself
        while attempting to satisfy an enormous ego. Here's hoping
        the "little bird" that feeds him "inside" information passes on
        my "sincere" congratulations on this "awesome" victory. I'd do it
        myself, but this person still blocks my emails. Now on to my trip.

        On Dec. 26 I flew from Philly to Atlanta on Air Tran. It's a
        nice airline that still treats it's customers like they should. I
        obtained a Dodge Calibre from Thrifty and drove to the Omni Hotel in
        downtown Atlanta. This is next to the CNN Tower that you can walk
        through to get to the Phillips Arena where the Indiana Pacers played
        my favorite NBA team, the Atlanta Hawks. The Omni is an upscale hotel
        with valet parking, bell men, concierge and opulent lobby. My king
        size bed had 10 decorating pillows on it that shoved unceremoniously
        to the floor. Before the game I had dinner at Thrive, an upscale
        restaurant 2 blocks east. Tasty food presented in a decorative
        fashion. That means that the arrangenment on the plate was more
        important than the volume. On to the game where $65 garnered me a mid-
        court seat in the mid-level seats. The game was good with multiple
        lead changes before my Hawks won out.

        The next day I drove to the Volusia Speed Park Kartway where
        they were having a money race prior to a 2-day WKA event. I arrived
        at 3:20pm hoping I hadn't missed the heats. Champkarts were the 19th
        scheduled class and I hoped to catch their race and head for my in-
        laws in Sarasota. I didn't miss the feature. I didn't even miss the
        10 of them qualifying. This meant I would be in champkart Hell for 7
        more hours as their only race of the day checkered at 10:20pm. By
        then it was too late to drive to Sarasota, so I settled for the
        Orange Bloosum Inn in Deland. This was the complete opposite of the
        Omni, and I can only reccommend it as a last minute option.

        There were no races on the 28th, so I enjoyed a leisurely
        breakfast at Doug and Lil's Potato Patch in Deland. Good breakfast at
        FL prices. After that I drove to Sarasota for a visit with my in-
        laws. I have good ones, and strangly enough, my travels find me
        visiting them more than Suz does.

        My original plan on the 29th was to watch the champkart heat on
        the paved track at Crossroads and then head to Swainsboro, GA for
        crate late models. That show was cancelled 2 days prior, so there
        wwas no pressure to get out of Crossroads, which I still consider the
        best karting facility I've visited. The 4 champs were the 9th
        scheduled class, and they completed their feature at 3:30. I drove
        through rain most of the way back to Atlanta from which I flew home
        the next morning.

        Thus ends my 2007 season where I amassed an all time high of 58
        new tracks that were located in 22 states. The new season begins this
        Sunday when I hopefully join the Eckels for a trip to Mototown. It
        was truly a pleasure sharing the experience with all the trackchasers
        I encountered during the year. I must give a special thanks to Mike
        Knappenberger who gratiously drove me to many of those tracks. Thanks
        also go to all others that provided transportation and commaraderie.
        My 6 weeks of vacation have long been picked for 2008, and only 3 of
        those weeks will be devoted to racing. The rest will be spent with
        Suz who had her last radiation session yesterday. There are still 2
        more months of chemotherapy that we hope will lead to a full
        recovery. My time with her can never again be taken for granted,
        hence we are planning some trips together. Adios.

        Gordy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          TrackChasers

          Happy 2008 to all of my friends in this group

          Nice to hear that we have two full cars out on the road already on the first weekend of the year...Mike Knappenberger, Paul Weisel, Brian Hickey, and myself are heading to Atlanta and Rockingham for some Legends road course racing...Bruce Eckel, Pat Eckel, Gordy Killian, and Will White are heading to Connecticut for some indoor action...Anyone else going racing already?

          Good to see friendship and comaradarie starting out strong in our group in the new year...Let's keep it up

          By the way, I discovered a track yesterday that I did not know had anything countable...Woodleaf Speedway in Woodleaf, NC is running a money race tomorrow and Senior Champ Karts is one of the classes that is supposed to be in competition...That's for any last second travelers out there...Will tells me that the track is now listed on the Tobias Slingshot roster of tracks, so maybe there will be a Slingshot race there this year

          For NY ice racing fans, AMEC has canceled for this weekend...CNYIRA is also scheduled to race, but they haven't updated their site since December 10, so I doubt they are really racing

        • Steve Rixon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008