#1054 Moler Raceway Park, Mt Orab, OH

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hi All,
      Friday I was thinking of a western trip but again the weather looked
      like a chance of showers so a change was in order. Moler Raceway Park
      in Mt Orab Ohio is a new track that opened this year and I had written
      this down as a desired trip. We seem to always hear of old tracks
      closing so it was a pleasure to see that a new track has been built. I
      arrived early at 5PM and a few cars were in the pits already. This is a
      banked quarter mile dirt track that is surrounded by a concrete block
      wall with real tall wheel fencing. The inside is marked by a dirt berm
      and kept clear except for emergency vehicles. The spectator stands are
      two 16-row bleachers (with good legroom) on each side of the 10-row
      stands centered in front of the announcer’s stand. The lights are good,
      speakers were fine and they had a scoreboard. The night got off to a
      slow start as one of the packing trucks hit the wall and needed to be
      towed off the track. The original schedule had sprints and late models
      but they settled for just the one headline class and drew 30 late
      models, 29 modifieds and 14 pure stocks. Only the late models qualified
      with Jackie Boggs fastest at 13.234 seconds. Racing got underway at 8PM
      with 4 heats for the late models starting straight up and then the 4
      heat winners going in a dash to determine the first two rows of the
      feature. The heats showed that the short track would be a little wild
      with several wall hits. Craig Christian got his modified in the wall
      and then rode along the wall before flipping on his top right in front
      of us. Ben Adkins beat Boggs in the dash for the late models. They did
      run the late model feature first and Ben Adkins was fast from the pole.
      Adkins had the field covered through 6 yellows in the 30-lap feature
      but the second spot was a tough fight between the other 3 heat winners.
      Boggs finally got back to second and Duane Chamberlain was third and
      Dean Boyd got 4th. The modifieds had 5 yellows in their 25-lap feature
      as Weasel Rhoades came from 5th to win over 6th starter John Henry. The
      pure stocks finished out the racing as 4th starter Tony Brewer got the
      win over Terry Lewis in the 20-lap feature that concluded just a few
      minutes after midnight. This race was slowed by 4 yellows one for a 3-
      car wreck that produced one of the hardest hits of the night.

      #1054 9/28/07 Moler Raceway Park - Mt Orab, OH - 1/4 dirt - Late models

      Ed