#1032 Dixon County Fair, Concord, NE

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hi All,
      Wednesday I headed back on the road to find a track that I had not been
      to. I was within 3 miles of the Dixon County Fair in Concord Nebraska
      when the fuel pump on my car gave out. A call to AAA informed me I was
      43 miles from the closest wrecker! It was about 2 hours before the 8PM
      starting time for the races but in a very remote area of Nebraska. As I
      was talking with the AAA a neighbor, Marlin Bose, stopped by and called
      some friends of his - one who has a garage and could work on the car
      tomorrow. Now I know where to tow the car, how to get to the race? Mr.
      Bose said I could use his van and go to the fair, then he told me of
      where there was a motel in Wayne about 10 miles south. The wrecker took
      my car and I headed to the fair. I arrived about 7:45, paid $6 fair
      admission that includes the grandstand and the weather was now a
      potential problem as heavy storms were scattered in the area but only a
      light sprinkle fell in the immediate area. There was a rainbow to the
      east as the program got underway right on time in front of a full 16
      row wooden grandstand and two bleacher sections on the back that were
      also full and people standing all around the arena. I found a seat
      under the roof, just in case, and the announcer was explaining the
      program. The speakers were good but the lights were weak. The track was
      a rectangular area with dirt embankments around it in front of a chain
      link fence. The program was a demo derby for big cars (13) divided into
      2 heats, then a race for figure eight cars (front wheel drive) a demo
      consi another figure eight race and the feature for the demo. There
      were only 5 figure 8 racecars and they decided to divide the purse in
      half and run the two races as features with a payoff for each. They
      brought out two big tires to form the figure 8 and Bob Kneifel won the
      first race from 3rd. By this time there was a lightning show to the
      north of the track too! They reversed the starting order for the second
      race and after a red flag when a car lost the gas tank Tyler Schwers
      came from 4th to win. I was very fortunate to get a track tonight!

      #1032 8/1/07 Dixon County Fair - Concord, NE - 1/13 dirt figure 8 -
      mini stocks

      Ed