#1023 Hamilton County Fair, McLeansboro, IL

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2007
      Hi All,
      Wednesday night I stopped at the Hamilton County Fair in McLeansboro
      Illinois for another figure eight headliner. This was a very small fair
      with a few rides for the small kids a slide and a couple of food
      choices. They have taken down the old grandstand and had some folding
      chairs sitting out on the 10 small steps that are along the site of the
      former grandstand. I didn’t see any activity at the fair at 5PM so I
      drove around town and then came back at 6PM – Still there were no
      racecars. Again $5 got you in the fair and the race was included. This
      fair has a horse track too and inside that is an area marked by some
      metal pole fencing that would serve as tonight track. They brought 2
      big tires in and watered down the 8 shape as the first car arrived.
      Some old streetlights serve as illumination but they have decent
      speakers. At the 7PM-start time the announcer asked us to be patient as
      they were waiting to see if another car was coming to join the 4 that
      had checked in. I noticed that some small 5 row bleachers were set up
      on the other side of the “pit” in the infield of the horse track and
      there was also a row of pickup trucks backed along there with people
      watching from them. The racecars were outnumbered by the emergency
      vehicles as there were 3 ambulances and two fire trucks. At 7:30 the
      program was explained: They would run a 20-lap heat, then invert the
      order and run a second heat and following an intermission the 30-lap
      feature. The heat got underway with some dust and after Randy McMahon
      stalled Jason Burke lost a rear wheel and axle and Dave Phipps drove
      over it and had the axle come through the floor of his car. This was
      about the 8th lap and the race was called complete. Luckily no injuries
      resulted! The second heat was scrapped but because the competitors were
      local they went back to town and after just over an hour the axle was
      back on Burke and parts were found to fix McMahon. All 4 cars took the
      green for the feature and about the 8th lap the red flag flew as the
      axle came out of Burke’s car again. After 30 laps McMahon was 4 laps
      ahead of Phipps as they were the only 2 running and it was 9:10PM. By
      9:30 the fair looked shut down and I was on my way out with another new
      track in the books.

      #1023 7/11/07 Hamilton County Fair - McLeansboro, IL - 1/15 dirt figure
      8 - stocks

      Ed