#1022 Clinton County Fair, Wilmington, OH

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 8:19 PM
      Hi All,
      Tuesday I had open on my schedule but on Monday night I was looking for
      race dates and spotted the Clinton County Fair in Wilmington Ohio
      running a figure eight race Tuesday night. I left Tuesday morning and
      arrived at the nice fair at 6PM just after a heavy shower went through
      the area. Guy Smith spotted me before I got in the fair and we enjoyed
      some fair food before finding a spot in the top row of the 16-row
      aluminum grandstand. The fair was decent with lots of food choices and
      animal barns and a stage for free entertainment along with the
      grandstand show (tonight - figure eight races) included in the $5
      admission. The track had standing water and they used some Bobcats to
      scrape off the water and some mud before any cars ever got on the
      track. The ambulance got stuck while trying to find a dry spot in the
      infield but the Bobcat rescued them too. The track was of the “pit”
      variety with a large area surrounded by big concrete blocks and using
      two tires to make the figure eight shape way in front of the grandstand
      inside the old horse track. There were good lights and good speakers.
      Norm Wagner joined us for the 7:15 start for the 16 small cars and the
      12 big cars that would run 2 heats, a semi and feature in each
      division. The track was very wet and speeds were slow due to the storm
      but the hitting was minimal and they turned in some good laps of
      racing. Each preliminary race was timed (although they never said how
      long) and transferred some cars to the feature. Ten cars started the
      small car feature and third starter Bill Haynes completed the most laps
      to win over Randy Allen and Brian Haynes. The big car feature sent 8
      cars to the line and Mr. Howe won from 5th over Rich Sherman. All
      racing was done about 9:10 and within an hour the next storm was
      approaching as I left the fairgrounds.

      #1022 7/10/07 Clinton County Fair - Wilmington, OH - 1/15 dirt figure
      8 - stocks

      Ed