Guy 1100 and counting

  • mike
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
      Guy, Good job on reaching 1100.
      Mike
    • Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
        Guy- congrats on another 100 mark. Seems like you have had a good
        Trackchasing summer so far.

        Keep it fun!

        Andy Ritter

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
          TrackChasers:

          Anyone heading to the figure 8 race at the Big Butler Fair on Wednesday, just note that Will has the track listing linked to the JM Productions website, which lists the starting time as 6:00 p.m.

          I went to the fair website for directions, and noted that the fair schedule for the day lists the figure 8 races as starting at 7:00.? Fair admission includes the races, and there is a big July 4th fireworks deal at dusk, so expect a big crowd in the grandstand.

          I wonder if it's a big grandstand.? Let us know, Andy Sivi, if you read this before Wednesday.? Thanks and we'll see you there Andy.

        • Andrew B Sivi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
            Guy,

            Sorry, but I cannot remember exactly how big the grandstand is. I have only see the fairgrounds twice and I have never sat in the grandstand.

            The first time I was at the Big Butler Fair was when my brother and I raced our Lernerville Street Stock there on the oval during the fair in 1977.

            The only other time I saw the fairgrounds was on August 7, 2001 when I stopped there thinking that the Figure 8 races were at that location. However, the fairgrounds was closed and the Figure 8 race was at the Butler Farm Show.

            I am pretty sure that the semi-covered grandstand at the Big Butler Fair holds alot more than the Butler Farm Show grandstand. I guess it will first come-first served with a seat.

            Congratulations on reaching track #1,100.

            Andy S

          • Bruce Eckel
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
              Guy,

              Haven't been online at home for the last few days. Wanted to
              send out our congradulations on hitting the 1100 track mark. Good job.

              Bruce and Pat

              _____

              --- In TrackChasers@ <mailto:TrackChasers%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2007
                Today was the first scheduled date for quarter sprints at the 1/12 mile
                paved oval. I showed up a little after 11:30 this morning for the noon
                starting time (I didn't know that was to be the starting time in
                advance), to find 2 quarter sprints and 4 other fans from NY, NJ and PA
                on hand. I was given the news that one of the two racers at the track
                was already calling others to inform them the races had been canceled.
                It seems that after scheduling 8 dates at Quick Raceway it turns out the
                group doesn't even want to race on asphalt. Couldn't they have
                determined that before they decided to move from their regular dirt
                track for the next 4 months? One of the quarter sprints came out and
                tried a few practice laps but that was it for today. A couple of flat
                karts also showed up and practiced while we were there. The next
                scheduled date is July 22. Which track, if any, that will now take place
                at remains to be seen. It doesn't seem like anyone will want to race at
                Tiverton. Russ gave me a phone number for the track owner, Jack, which
                is 781-293-6782. Mike Knappenberger had contacted someone with the EOQS
                so I guess he has their number. Last night I read on a mini cup driver's
                web site that he had run last year at Tiverton, but I'm not sure if he
                raced a mini cup there or maybe just a kart. So, perhaps there is still
                a chance for another countable track in Rhode Island.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2007
                  TrackChasers:

                  The July 4th Holiday Weekend, the 8th of our TrackChasing Summer,?was another excellent week for Pam and Guy.

                  WEDNESDAY

                  We left Wednesday and headed to Butler, PA for the Big Butler Fair and the JM figure 8 races.? We were joined at the races by fellow TrackChasers Norm Wagner and Andy Sivi.? The chance of rain was 80% but all we had was a little sprinkle.? This was a nice fair and the $7 admission included the parking and the races.? This was the first time they had figure 8 races and there were 21 cars on hand.? The track was great, nice and wide.? That resulted in good races.? They had three heats, three consies, two last chance consies, and a feature.? The show lasted from 7:00 - 9:00.? A good crowd watched from the large covered grandstands.? A nice night.? The four of us made plans to meet Friday at Smithton Hole.

                  THURSDAY

                  Pam and I?drove to Athens, OH where we would be staying for the weekend.? Had a nice bike ride and went out for a Mexican dinner at Casa Nueva with our Athens friend Norman.

                  FRIDAY

                  As you know, there were no races at stupid Smithton Hole.? They had a whole season of races planned, but gave up after only one or two actual events.? Andy Sivi?had tried to go four times, and they rained out all four, even though it only rained twice.? The oval track schedule remains on the track webiste, but the promoter said they would not be running until further notice.? He said they might try again late in the season after Farmington closes.? I wouldn't count on it.? Once again, as happens every year, something prevents me from getting all of the tracks needed in my home state, which I always try to do.

                  The Smithton cancelation allowed us to go to Moler Raceway Park.? They were having wingless sprints, which was good, since when I planned to go in August the sprints would not be there.? The track is fantastic.? If I was building a track from scratch, I would design it just like this one.? That's just the track, though.? The seating is not good, and the track is not that well run.? They finished the heats at 9:15 and although the sprint feature was first, it didn't start until 10:45.? Luckily, it went with just one yellow.? Casey Shuman led until the yellow, when he was sent to the back (12th) for going under a cone.? This gave the lead and win to Matt Westfall.? Shuman came back to 3rd with no cautions to help him.? Good racing, no dust.? The Late Models and Modifieds both had full fields but we didn't stay to watch their features, as Pam had a long day on Saturday.? It was 11:00 and they still had two mains to run, no wonder why the neighbors hate the brand new track.

                  SATURDAY

                  Pam was teaching a course at Ohio University?on "Traumatic Brain Injury" from 9:00 to 5:30.? They paid for our room and travel costs, but Pam donated her teaching salary back to the University, because this is where she went for her Masters.? Easy come, easy go.? Since she was busy not earning money, I was on my own and I headed back to Great Lakes Speedway, where we had been rained out on Labor Day.? This time, everything worked out as planned and the show was very well run and I liked the track, although it is pretty narrow.

                  SUNDAY

                  After a 16 mile bike ride, Pam left for home as she has to teach her regular class at Bloomsburg U. on Monday.? I stayed?in Oho?to get another track.? This was another fair figure 8, at Madison County.? I had made arrangements to meet up with Norm Wagner again, and we were joined by Roger & Brenda; so it was another good evening with some TrackChasing pals.? Another decent fair, but at 93 degrees it was hot to walk around too much.? $6 got me in the fair, parking, and the races.? The figure 8 races were just part of a bigger demo derby show.? Luckily, they had all the figure 8's first.? They had two seven car heats, and an eight car, 25 lap feature.? The races were not too good as the track was pretty tight, and the lousy announcer, who had no idea who was winning or how many laps were down, was no help.? I don't think the fans really?enjoyed the first figure 8 show at this fair.? The figure 8's lasted less than an hour.? This was my 97th Ohio track.? I need to get to three more to join Norm in the 3-States/100 Tracks Club.? By the time I join him he may have formed a new club: 4-States/100 Tracks.? He's closing in on it in Michigan too.? I've made arrangements to meet up with Norm again next week.

                  <<Seems like you have had a good Trackchasing summer so far.? Andy Ritter>>

                  Great summer so far, Andy.? I'm hoping to get to around 50 new tracks for the year. ?At the halfway point in the year, I've been to 24 tracks, so I'm right where I wanted?to be.? I've been trying to get to more other open cockpit races as well as to?spend a little more time with some other areas of interest, which I have been doing.? So far I've been able to see the wingless USAC sprints at Grandview and Big Diamond; the winged sprints at Williams Grove, Lincoln, Trailway, Port Royal, and Selinsgrove; the midgets at Susquehanna; the TQ's at Mountain; and the Modifieds at Mahoning.? I've been to some good races at tracks I've been to many times.? How about you, Andy?? Are you racing at Redline?? We are hoping to make a trip up to see you race next month if you are running.? Let us know.

                • Andy Ritter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
                    "How about you, Andy? Are you racing at Redline? We are hoping to make
                    a trip up to see you race next month if you are running. Let us know.

                    > Guy"

                    I have run 5 shows so far and am chasing my tail a bit with the set up.
                    A top finish of 8th does not make me too happy, but at least I have
                    managed to finish the last 2 weeks. A couple engine problems also
                    slowed us down the first couple weeks. I plan on hitting the rest of
                    the shows at Redline excluding this coming week as my Dad is on
                    vacation. After that hopefully I can get my performance to turn
                    around. Obviously if I blow up or tear something up real bad that
                    would keep me from running all the shows.

                    Keep it fun!

                    Andy Ritter