3 for Gordy and 4 for Mike

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28 4:13 PM
      Greetings from your breadman,

      Mike K. came running back from IL to pick me up and drag me to New
      England. We tried to get the kart track at Seekonk on Friday, but the
      0% chance of rain struck us down just as we entered Providence. The
      Hickey family met us in the parking lot and invited us back to their
      garage to grill. We spent the next couple hours eating and bench
      racing. We certainly appreciated their hospitality that helped ease the
      pain of the rainout. Thanks again, Hickeys. My list of friends made on
      this trackchasing journey far exceeds my track list, and I'm very
      grateful for that. After leaving the Hickeys we made our way to my
      brother-in-law's place in Ashland, MA where we bedded down for the
      night. I don't get to visit the Spindlers as much as I'd like, so this
      was an added bonus for me. Free lodging and breakfast ain't bad, either.

      The next day was a Maine triple. First up was the Bullwinkle's
      Raceway, a primitive, dirt, quarter mile with an a derelict boat
      sitting outside turn 2. 28 ministocks ran 4 heats and a feature on a
      cool, windy day. I was jealous of Mike when he got to purchase a track
      shirt with Bullwinkle Moose and Rocky the Flying Squirrel on the back.
      The racing wasn't much, but they had a couple hundred fans there
      watching what were probably family members and friends race.

      Next was a 70 minute ride to the Thundering Valley Kartway, an odd
      shaped quarter mile of narrow pavement with short chutes at both ends.
      The racing wasn't bad, but the countable champkarts were last to run as
      the sun was setting and the temps were dropping. A very nice facility
      that probably deserves a big karting event.

      30 minutes east was Speedway 95 where we only missed a few heats
      in a 5 division show. This was not new for me, as I'd seen a street
      stock feature many moons ago after watching a show at Unity Raceway. I
      feel much better about having this track on my list after watching some
      entertaining features. There were also some hard crashes which were the
      only reason this show ended at 10:00pm after starting at 7:00. The
      place is old and showing it's age and contained a nice crowd. And yes,
      the wind persisted and the temps were still dropping. Summer, indeed.

      The next morning we started with breakfast at the Purple Cow House
      of Pancakes at exit 133 of I-95. This was an outstanding choice where
      the portions were so large that I couldn't finish my meal. And the
      prices were good, too. I'm giving this place the RANLAY guarantee
      because no one will ever be disappointed here enough to drain my
      buddy's track chasing budget. He'd be wise to take Carol there if they
      make a sojourn to ME.

      We squeezed back in my Rav4 and headed to the Richmond raceway for
      more karts and minicups on a paved quarter mile. Again, a nice
      facility, though it was lacking in shade while being a mosquito haven.

      The 1 common denominator at all 4 tracks was a $5 admission price.
      Could this be a state law in Maine?

      It's off to Alaska for vacation for Suz and I where I hope to get
      3 tracks for me and 4 for Suz. Adios.

      Gordy
    • Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28 6:29 PM
        Gordy- have fun in Alaska. I am sure you will enjoy the trip more
        this time than the 1 night you had there on your last trip. There is
        so much to do and such amazing scenery. If you have an off night I
        would also recommend checking out an Alaska League baseball game.
        Its only college summer league, but the towns, especially the smaller
        towns like Fairbanks and Kenai, really support the teams and it is
        pretty grass roots and cheap fun. Its also neat to see them play at
        night with no lights. Just a thought in case of a rainout at the
        track as me and my Dad checked out a couple games when we were there
        a couple years ago.

        Keep it fun!

        Andy Ritter

      • RPMGORDY@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28 6:43 PM
          Andy,

          Thanks for the idea. It's always good to have backup. I'm quite sure
          I'll get more out of this trip. The last time I was there, much of the state was
          on fire. Had it not rained the morning I got there, the road to Capitol
          Raceway would still have been closed as fire was on both sides. It was hard to do
          any sightseeing as smoke filled the air, much like it did in GA a month ago.I
          might even see Mt. McKinley this time. Looking forward to it for sure.

          Gordy

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30 10:16 AM
            I received the following info from Brian Hickey the other day:

            "Hillside Speedway,in Westport,Ma. will run some open shows after the
            end of
            the season at Quick Raceway,in R.I., as weather permits. They will also
            run a
            similar schedule in 08.

            The EOQS will try and run fri nights at the new Seekonk temp. kart track,
            in July and Aug."

            For those who may not know, the EOQS is the Eastern Outlaw Quarter
            Sprints group. They race a slightly smaller version of a micro sprint
            type car. The Seekonk track he refers to is a paved oval set up in the
            parking lot at Seekonk Speedway, that runs a mainly kart show each
            Friday night.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30 6:53 PM
              I finally uncovered some info on the elusive Autodrome St-Just,
              including a 2007 schedule, a results story from the opener and an
              address for the track. The 3/10 mile dirt, stock car oval opened this
              year on May 19. Other dates include 6/9, 6/23, 7/14, 8/9, 8/25 and 9/15.
              Starting time is 1:00 pm and the track is located at 59 Rang Ste-Anne.
              This is the first time I ever found advance dates for this track.

              The annual dirt stock car program I attend a few years ago at Be'arn is
              also still in operation. They are scheduled to run July 7+8. The one in
              Laverloche`re was listed for their usual Victoria Day weekend dates last
              month.

              A track that Roland previously mentioned to me is now listed on
              www.trackchaser.net and goes straight to the top of my ultimate hitlist.
              After watching some video of 2006 saloon car racing at the Azadi Sport
              Complex in Tehran, Iran, and then finding their web site,
              www.azadisportcomplex.com, I was easily able to find the track on Google
              Earth. It seems to be within walking distance of the airport too. Oops,
              after watching another video showing how they cross the streets there in
              heavy traffic, perhaps a taxi would be a better choice. :o