Northeast Pond, February 24, 2007

  • bardahlspl2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
      On Saturday, February 24 I had the chance to pick up a new
      track, making it my 42nd new track. Got a ways to go.

      Northeast Pond in Milton NH was the site of ice racing on
      this day. Even though Milton is only about an hour or so from my
      home, this was my first visit. By using the New England Ice Racing
      Association website directions I maneuvered through the Mi-Te-Jo
      campground to the ticket taker, $10 a car load. From there I drove
      onto the pond and pulled up outside turns 3 and 4, next to a car with
      Massachusetts plates. I went over to this car to let the fellow know
      that I didn't think he was from around here, when lo and behold I
      find that the world's No. 1 Track chaser Randy Lewis was also here.
      I was able to spend the afternoon watching the races from the comfort
      of his car while talking all things racing, big and small.

      The track is a third mile plowed oval, and I think you can
      definitely consider this a flat track. The pit area was plowed out
      behind the backstretch. Parking is plowed in a manner that allows
      you to watch the action from about turn three around to the start of
      turn one. The flagman had a three step stand to make himself more
      visible as well as allowing him to see better. Behind him was a
      small enclosed trailer with large windows for the scorers.
      Considering the minimum number of cars on hand, I don't think scoring
      was an issue. There was a small trailer offering concessions, I
      didn't go over there so I can't report on that. Restrooms are
      provided by various portapotties around the site.

      All the cars use tire chains on the drive wheels, similar to
      the kind my father would have used back in the day. On the nondrive
      wheels a motorcycle chain is wrapped around the circumference of the
      tire, with the tire being blown up tight to the chain. This gives
      those tires a little bit of side bite. There are four classes racing
      here, modifieds, street stocks, four cylinder rear wheel drive, and
      four cylinder front wheel drives. The modifieds are a combination of
      what looks like old dirt modifieds without the outer bodywork, making
      them look somewhat like a homemade super modified from the 60's.
      There was also one sprint car and a 1932 Ford coupe. The Ford coupe
      is a real beauty and you may have seen it on the cover Vintage Oval
      Racing magazine a few years ago. I must say that it is the only time
      I've seen a sprint car with a windshield and working windshield
      wipers.

      Ice racing car counts in general are slim and that was the
      case here, which was somewhat surprising as this was a special
      benefit for Make-A-Wish. NEIRA normally runs here on Sunday's, but
      chose a Saturday to allow other ice racing groups to compete. The
      modified feature started three cars and after a couple of laps
      the '32 coupe and another car got together and didn't return, leaving
      the remaining racer the winner.

      My favorite division is the street stocks which consist
      of `70's Chevrolet Monte Carlos. Watching these behemoths bellow
      around the turns in full drift is a great sight. This may be the
      last place on earth where you can see American made, rear wheel drive
      V-8 stock cars that are actually stock. The #11 of Frank Varney was
      painted in the Holly Farms colors of the Junior Johnson/Cale
      Yarborough era and won the event. The #8 car wore the current Bud
      paint scheme of Dale Jr.

      The four cylinder divisions generally have more cars
      competing, sometimes as many as 8 in the feature, and that was the
      case here. They are very competitive, as well offering some variety
      in car makes.

      Overall the racing was decent, with the emphasis on fun.
      It's probably one of the few places where a driver's suit consists of
      insulated snowmobile pants and a Carhart jacket.

      On Sunday I met up with Randy at Lees Pond in Moultonborough
      NH for their regularly scheduled Sunday afternoon racing. I have
      this track already. It was just about the most perfect day I've ever
      experienced for ice racing. The temperature was about 30 degrees or
      so, the sun was shining, and there was almost no wind. The car
      counts were a little better than Milton, and they also have a four
      cylinder youth division.

      The street stocks were still the highlight of the day with a
      good battle for the lead. I can almost imagine that this is what
      local dirt track racing may have been like 50 years ago. All in all
      a great day at the races.

      Please note the Lakes Region Ice Racing Association normally
      races on Berry Pond in Moultonborough, which is about a mile or so
      away on the other side of town from Lees Pond. If you've seen ice
      racing here before, you may not have seen it at Lees Pond.

      As the slogan on the cover of the program say, "Just plain
      fun".
    • Mike Leone
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
        Will, Allan, & all,

        Blanket Hill Speedway in Kittanning, PA has a new website at
        www.blankethillspeedway.net

        We are going to have a Figure 8 race on the frontstretch at Mercer the
        frontstretch on June 16. I'm assuming this will not be an additional
        countable track.

        The Butler Fair will have their first ever Figure 8 race this year on
        July 4. Unfortunately I will have to miss this event as we are racing
        at Mercer that night.

        Mike
      • Bruce Eckel
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
          Bruce,

          Good report. Good to see someone reporting on their new
          tracks. Would like to see some of the other members give us updates on some
          of their recent travels. Keep on racing and Pat and I may be putting
          together a New Hampshire visit in May over Memorial Day.

          Bruce Eckel

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
            Mike,

            Thanks for the Western PA track updates. BTW, the Mercer figure 8 will
            be a new TrackChaser countable track of course, unless it isn't really a
            race or if it's really a "double 0" and they call it a figure eight,
            like they did before at Ransomville.

            Will

            Mike Leone wrote:
            > Will, Allan, & all,
            >
            > Blanket Hill Speedway in Kittanning, PA has a new website at
            > www.blankethillspeedway.net
            >
            > We are going to have a Figure 8 race on the frontstretch at Mercer the
            > frontstretch on June 16. I'm assuming this will not be an additional
            > countable track.
            >
            > The Butler Fair will have their first ever Figure 8 race this year on
            > July 4. Unfortunately I will have to miss this event as we are racing
            > at Mercer that night.
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com
            > Subscribe: TrackChasers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Leone
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              Will,

              At this time we're just going to put two yuke tires on the frontstretch
              like they do at many fairs. We can't do a figure 8 through out
              infield. I'm assuming this won't count then.

              Thanks,
              Mike

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                Mike,

                It doesn't matter how the figure 8 track is formed, it is still
                countable. As you say, they race around tires on the frontstretch of an
                oval at many fairs. We've counted many figure eights this way.

                Will

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Cannonball Motor Speedway near Saint Clairsville, OH is expected to re-
                  open this year. The word is they are considering either Friday or
                  Saturday nights and no divisions have been announced although work has
                  been going on at the speedway. They have one of the new IRS Super Late
                  Model Series events booked.

                  Joe Gombach did not renew his lease at Latrobe (PA) Speedway so unless
                  someone comes along it appears the half-mile will sit dark this season.

                  Gambler's Raceway Park is to have an meeting Saturday to discuss this
                  season's plans.

                  Sportsman's Speedway in Knox and Hickory Motor Speedway in New Castle
                  continue to sit dark.

                  Lake Erie Speedway is going to have the Micro Sprints and possibly the
                  Big-Block Modifieds on the asphalt this year. The modifieds are to have
                  a test and if things go well a pretty decent payoff will take place for
                  the BRP Tour.
                • Bruce.A.Spencer@hitchcock.org
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2007
                    --- You wrote:
                    Keep on racing and Pat and I may be putting
                    together a New Hampshire visit in May over Memorial Day.
                    --- end of quote ---

                    Bruce,

                    Great, let me know and maybe we can hook up, or I can give you some guidance on travel times, etc.

                    Thanks,
                    Bruce
                  • Bruce Eckel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Bruce,

                      Maybe there is something you can check into now. Last year Twin
                      States ran a figure 8 course. The rumor was they were not going to run it
                      in 2007. Maybe you could check with your contacts and see what the story
                      is. We are looking right now at maybe Twin States on Friday (but Memorial
                      Day traffic might prevent that), Riverside on Saturday with New Hampshire
                      road course on Saturday or Sunday. Also looking for a Sunday night venture
                      and maybe Monday afternoon. Will have to check into Glad Rag and Glen
                      Ridge. Thanks for your assistance Bruce and hopefully we can hook up if
                      you are around on Memorial Day weekend.

                      Bruce

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Will,

                        Ok I didn't realize if the figure 8 was entirely on the track's
                        regular surface if was an additional countable track.

                        Thanks,
                        Mike

                        --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, Will White <trackchaser@...>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2007
                          --- You wrote:
                          Maybe there is something you can check into now. Last year Twin
                          States ran a figure 8 course. The rumor was they were not going to run it
                          in 2007. Maybe you could check with your contacts and see what the story
                          is. We are looking right now at maybe Twin States on Friday (but Memorial
                          Day traffic might prevent that), Riverside on Saturday with New Hampshire
                          road course on Saturday or Sunday. Also looking for a Sunday night venture
                          and maybe Monday afternoon. Will have to check into Glad Rag and Glen
                          Ridge. Thanks for your assistance Bruce and hopefully we can hook up if
                          you are around on Memorial Day weekend.
                          --- end of quote ---

                          Bruce,

                          Sorry in taking so long to respond, wanted to make sure I had the info right. No figure 8's at Claremont this year, replaced by a modified division. Should be around Memorial Day weekend, and most other weekends for that matter. Let me know your plans and I'll definitely try to hook up.

                          Thanks,
                          Bruce Spencer
                        • Bruce Eckel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2007
                            Thanks for the info Bruce. Will let you know better as the holiday weekend
                            draws closer.

                            Bruce Eckel

                            _____