#968 No Problem Raceway Park, Belle Rose, LA

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi All,
      Sunday I headed for Louisiana and the weather forecast held true as the
      showers that moved through Saturday were gone and a clear but cool day
      was on tap. My destination today is the road course that is part of the
      facility in Belle Rose called No Problem Raceway Park. The area is very
      flat and the track is just as flat as the course incorporates the drag
      strip run-off area to be the main straight in the 1.8-mile 14-turn
      course. Viewing was limited to about one third of the course from the
      pits although I did see some cars drive to the other side of the drag
      strip and go to the east area I did not venture down there myself.
      Today’s races are part of a series held at the track for about 8
      classes and although most of the cars carried their SCCA or NASA decals
      these races were not sanctioned. I arrived during the lunch break and
      noted all qualifying was completed in the morning. My first order of
      business was a stop at the concession stand where I got an excellent
      very large burger for $3 that I decked out with all the trimmings from
      the large condiment stand. The racing got under way at 1:30PM with a
      feature for the 9 formula cars. John Neher jumped from his pole start
      and won by a large margin. The all Bracket and Spec Miata were given
      heats while the other two classes just had a feature race. All the
      races were for a set time (20-minute features and 10 minute heats).
      Next up was a feature for the class described as GTO, SP and Vintage V-
      8. This race started 14 cars and featured a battle for the lead between
      two Corvettes as Johnny Walter led from the pole but was passed late by
      Christian Francois who won by a narrow margin. Franco Volobra took his
      car from a 14th place start to claim third. The largest class was the
      All Bracket class that had 16 cars and this one had a close 3-car race
      for the lead. Paulo Diniz started on the pole after winning the heat
      and was ahead of Gary Rebstock and Lane Sutton when the race was
      stopped after John Smith went off course into the mud and trees. During
      the time that it took to remove the car from the mud and sweep the
      track the time ran out and Diniz was the winner. I didn’t stay for the
      10-car Spec Miata race that ended the day opting to get an early start
      on the long drive home.

      #968 1/28/07 No Problem Raceway Park - Belle Rose, LA - 1.8 paved road
      course - sports cars

      Ed