#963 Volusia Spedway Park, Barberville, FL

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi All,
      Friday I arrived in Florida for the third day of the special year end
      Dirt Kart Week at the Volusia Speedway Park Kart Track. I pulled in
      just before 3PM for the show that started with qualifying at Noon and
      heard some announcements for trophy presentations for the fast
      qualifiers and a request for the first feature to line up. Today’s show
      would consist of only 8 classes and was divided between some flat karts
      and champ karts. The senior champ lites were the last class to race.
      Several of the classes were set with full fields of 24 karts to start
      and that was the case with the senior champs. The track is a 1/5-mile
      dirt oval that is nearly flat. The track is set up well with lots of
      sandy run off areas all around, some good lights (not needed until
      after the races today), big caution lights in each turn and one of the
      old bleacher sections from the half-mile in the turn for us few
      spectators. The announcer could be heard well in the pits but not too
      well in the stands. The track stayed very smooth with rubber laid down
      across its full width and no dust. (Their website says they use a dust
      sealer on the surface – maybe some other tracks should check this out.)
      The karts did lots of passing and were able to use multi grooves in
      each of the races. The senior champ race got off to a slow start with
      about 8 karts spinning in the first turn and Justin Bridges getting
      upside down and out for the race. The second attempt saw the same
      scenario in the 4th turn with Jason Lineweaver doing the flipping. The
      third start wasn’t much better with 11 karts in a big tangle. After
      these three attempts the race went non-stop for the 20 laps and pole
      sitter Jason Moates held off Matt Ridgway from 5th for the win. Closing
      at the end for third place was Geoffrey Reimer who started 12th. There
      was a small gathering of trackchasers and I had a good day chatting
      with Rick, Guy and Pam. The day’s action was completed before 6PM and
      the lights were turned on for the after race parties.

      #963 12/29/06 Volusia Speedway Park - Barberville, FL - 1/5 dirt -
      Champ Karts

      Ed