#956 Altus Speedway, Altus, OK

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi All,
      Sunday I headed northwest to try once again to see racing at the Altus
      Speedway in Altus Oklahoma. I had been here a couple of years ago for
      one of their winter series races but not enough cars showed up so they
      had a practice day. Tonight’s show was the second day of the Spooker
      Nationals advertised to start at 5PM and I was here about 4PM to find
      practice underway. A fair crowd of about 400 were in their seats at
      5:15 when the first of 5 features got underway. No preliminary events
      were necessary as car counts were light at 13 super stocks, 11 Hornets,
      9 Late Models, 13 Super Trucks and 12 Bombers. The track is a slightly
      banked 1/3-mile paved oval with concrete walls and a clear infield.
      There is a nice scoreboard and lap counter outside turn three. The
      seating is 16 rows of concrete benches and some are showing their age
      as they warp and crack. The track had good lights and adequate speakers
      from which came some sort of announcement that the world’s number one
      track chaser was here tonight. Sure enough just to my right sat Randy!
      The features were all 50 laps except the late models that went 100
      times around. Five single car spins slowed the super stocks as Jim
      Hicks started 8th and worked the inside to take the lead at the halfway
      mark and score the win. Following Hicks were front row starters Andy
      Welch and Joe Schmitt. The hornets and charger classes were combined
      with 11 cars starting the feature that was slowed only once for a
      double spin on the 35th lap. Mark Walbeck led the entire way from the
      pole and won over Kenny Holt from 4th. The late models went the 100
      laps with only two yellows and John Wood leading 83 laps from the pole
      until Dusty Tutton got by and took the win. The bombers had six yellows
      for spins as David Welsh scored the win from 4th over Matt Hicks. The
      Super Trucks saw the best racing as they had good close racing in two
      grooves for the whole event. They went 29 laps before the first of 4
      cautions for single spins slowed the action in the next 10 laps.
      Brandon Lawless had been dominating the race from his front row start
      but was getting pressure from Eric Caudell after the last restart and
      the two touched on lap 44 with Lawless spinning. Caudell restarted in
      the lead but one lap later he tangled with Rick Perry and spun. The
      last 5 laps were intense as the two former leaders drove hard to get
      back to the front. At the end it was Perry holding off Darrel Duke
      followed by Lawless and Caudell. The racing was done at 8:30 and after
      a long chat with Mr. Lewis the lights were out and it was time to head
      home.

      #956 10/29/06 Altus Speedway - Altus, OK - 1/3 paved - late models

      Ed