#954 Grayson County Speedway, Bells, TX

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi All,
      Friday I ventured on to Texas for a stop at the first day of the two-
      day Monster Mash at the Grayson County Speedway in Bells Texas. Tonight
      there were 35 modifieds, 30 Hot Stocks, 21 Sport Mods and 7 junior
      Minis to run for their spots in the big money races on Saturday night.
      I arrived at 6PM for the 8PM races and there were cars in the pits and
      they were grading the long quarter mile. The area had rain this week
      and the infield was wet but not the banked track. I found a seat half
      way up the 11 row bleachers as they called the cars to run in the one
      load of water and hot laps were under way at 7:15. The track seems long
      and narrow with adequate lights on the straights but weak in the turns
      and good speakers. The walls were concrete on the straights and beat up
      single Armco in the turns. There were only about 150 people in the
      stands for the on time start of heat races and I was pleased with the
      flagman who lets a single car spin go and just points to the spun car
      with the furled yellow flag while the race continues. The junior minis
      were entertaining, as the 21 car of Shelby Williams is the first mini
      stock I have seen that three wheels like the old modifieds used to do.
      He can carry the left front about a foot off the ground and not let it
      down for the entire straightaway however; he was beaten by pole sitter
      Trey Williams for the feature win. The hot stocks (hobby stocks) went
      20 laps with only 4 yellows (2 lost wheels, debris and a multi car
      wreck) as Dusty Parks came from 15th to work around the early leader
      Dennis Rogers from 3rd. The sport mods had 3 slow downs, two of them
      were multi car tangles, and Damon Morris held the top spot from the
      first row. However again as the laps wore on Kevin Clement came from
      10th and was able to slip by and take the win over Morris and Justin
      White. The modifieds went 25 laps with the top 8 earning spots for the
      Saturday show and only 4 cautions were needed. Ronny Gould took off
      from the pole but Jared Webb came from 6th and patiently waited for his
      opportunity, as Gould was good at blocking. Webb went high and was able
      to get by and score the win over Gould and the show was over at
      12:40AM. This was late but would have been much worse if they had
      stopped the races for single car spins.

      #954 10/27/06 Grayson County Speedway - Bells, TX - 1/4 dirt - modifieds

      Ed