Another Loss

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2006

      Racing lost another short track historian this week with the death of Ed Watson of Witness. Most know Ed published and/or authored several fine (actually, fantastic) books on auto racing. It's been a tough year, losing Gary Jacob, Wilson Davis, and now Ed Watson. Those of us that truly love the sport and the history behind it recognize how much these three gentlemen have contributed.

    • Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
        100 tracks before age 21 is indeed impressive. We also may end up
        with 3 listed Andys, this would also be impressive.

        Keep it fun!

        Andy Ritter

        --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, Will White <trackchaser@...>
        wrote:

        > Mike,
        >
        > Andy's achievement of 100 tracks before age 21 is impressive.
        Although
        > we don't have a young TrackChasers championship I'd love to add
        Andy to

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 24, 2006
          I missed the first ever European style rallycross at Glad Rag Raceway on
          September 10th as I was busy enjoying a weekend of Ontario trackchasing.
          Several other chasers attended that first Glad Rag rallycross, which
          came to be after Rick Young got the NY ice racers interested in turning
          their solo American style rallycross into a wheel-to-wheel Euro style
          event. The AMEC group and Glad Rag owner Sam Holland were happy enough
          to schedule a second rallycross for October 22nd and this gave me an
          opportunity to attend. Glad Rag is a super small time operation and
          after watching a few basic cars compete on the little 1/6 mile oval
          there in both dirt and paved versions, I figured that was the last I'd
          see of the place. But the rallycross brought me back for a third try and
          I would say this was easily my favorite of the three. Gordy mentioned
          how it was fun attending Empty Jug because with pressure removed from
          the equation the racers are left with pure fun. This was the case also
          at Glad Rag. Basically what you had was a friendly group of ice racers
          getting together for a little fun during what was for them the
          "offseason". Nearly everybody there was either a racer, a worker, or both.

          They held time trials, followed by four rounds of racing. I arrived
          around 12:15 and they had already completed time trials and one round of
          heats. The heats were split into turbo (1) and non-turbo (3). There were
          14 cars total. Between the second and third sets of races it began to
          rain steadily and continued through the remainder of the program.
          Luckily there is a partially open sided, barn type structure from which
          I could watch while it rained. This was located inside the course. Food
          and drinks were served from inside an old bus situated at one end of the
          barn. A few racers did not compete in the final round of the day and the
          field was consolidated into three races, with a high of five cars
          running in the last race.

          The layout of the races was really different than anything I've
          previously known about. Each race really consists of 2 completely
          different tracks. First they run 3.5 laps round the small paved oval,
          then they turn onto the mixed course and run nearly 3 laps on that. The
          second part of each race is on what I'd guess to be about a 1/3 mile
          course, including a short paved dragstrip and a dirt section that runs
          around the back of the property. Each race had 2 "starters", one
          flagging the first part of each race from the starter's stand on the
          oval, the other handling the second part of the race from inside the
          last section of dirt road before the dragstrip. I enjoyed the uniqueness
          of the layout and I think I preferred this set up to any of the NY ice
          race courses I've seen.

          The last race of the day checkered two hours after I arrived. No other
          TrackChasers were on hand for this event, unless someone left during or
          after the first round of heats, or watched from the parking lot at the
          Glad Rag Saloon and didn't walk across the track to where everyone else was.

          Will White
        • deskjet960@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2006
            Will, I was busy doing a Motorsports show in Buffalo on this day, and
            wondered if they are going to have any more races there this season? PJ

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 25, 2006
              PJ,

              It sounded like the Glad Rag rallycross was done for the year.

              Will

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
                We just lost Lloyd Ruby.... I hope the younger fans know his name, he was one
                of the very best.....PJ

              • Bruce Eckel
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 24, 2009
                  PJ,

                  Sorry to hear about Lloyd Ruby. Always cheered for the man from Wichita Falls, Texas. Always felt that he could have been one of the best if he could had secured a real top notch ride. RIP Lloyd.

                  Bruce

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3958 (20090324) __________

                  http://www.eset.com