Hippodrome Du Quebec

  • Rick Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hippodrome Du Quebec ( 30th Sept 06)

      Mother Nature was kind to me this weekend, when Will White and myself visited the inaugral Dirt Modified race at the Hippodrome in sunny Quebec City. I met Will at the Flying J truck stop in Veudreuil for breakfast, where we left his car, and travelled the remaining three hours in mine. We arrived at 12-30am for the afternoon event
      The track as the name suggests is a horse racing course , located in the centre of the city, which reminded us both of a smaller version of "the moody mile" at Syracuse. Almost all of the viewing area on the front stretch was seated and behind glass, in an impressive three story granstand similar to Coventry, Sheffield and Wimbledon in the UK, with bars and refeshment areas. Other viwing areas were available fom the centre. A free glossy colour souveneer programme and poster of the event were available as you entered..The width of the track was a bit narrower than what the race cars were used to, due to the tempory concrete Jersey Barriers that had been put in place, but after a later than scheduled start, the racing got under way.
      There were 25 Dirt Sportsman and 20 small block Dirt Modifieds in attendance, and after time trials and heats, the main events, a 50 lapper for Sportman , and a 100 lapper for the Mods took place. The historic first race ( a heat) was won by Dirt Sportman # 67 Richard Tessier, Eric Lefebvre # 88 won the Sportman Feature and Alex Fortier # 09 took the main event which finished shortly before 8-00pm.
      The quality of racing suffered a little, becuase of the narrow track, and the fact it was a "day time" dirt event, but once it got dark and the damp settled in to the track the main event turned out quite good. The opposite can be said about the Sportsman feature which was hampered by cautions and had to be stopped half way , for a 15 minute break, as the late afternoon sun going down was blinding the drivers.
      Will made an excellent job of promoting the "TRACKCHASERS" when interviwed by the Bi-Lingual anouncer Brian Mulligan about his TRACKCHASIN exploits..
      The event , as Will said in his interview was unique,
      I`m glad I was there... normaly I would have been at Fulton for the Vic 200.

      Rick