Berlin

  • Allan Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      Last night at Berlin it rained off and on, but they were able to get 24 laps of the ISMA Supermodified feature in before the rest of the night was cancelled. Chris Perley won again. This time over Nokie Fornora & Lou Cicconi. Johnny Benson drove a team car to Dave McKnight and was fastest in practice, but had steering problems in the feature and finished out of the top ten.

      The rains came about 8:30, and the track tried in vain for over an hour, only to have the temperature drop into the high 40's with 80 percent humidity. Between rain drops and humidity the track wasn't drying. During this time one lightning storm went past to the north, and then another went past to the south. Finally shortly after 10 o'clock they pulled the plug. They still had the Auto Value Sprint and USAC Regional Midget features to go. They had 20 Supers, 28 Sprints, and 23 Midgets, plus another dozen antique coupes.

      Paul Weisel and Bing Mertz did make in time to see the super feature, and we bench raced for about an hour. It was fun listening to their exploits in Alaska. They were heading to Bob's and Kalamazoo today.

      I'm heading out to the links today. It's time to dust off my golf clubs. I haven't had a chance to play since May. I took my clubs along a couple of times, but things didn't work out. I usually shoot in the mid 70's, any warming than that, I'll stay inside.

      I'm not sure where I'll head next weekend. It all depends on the weather, which they are already predicting for rain. My best choices are USAC Sprints at Terre Haute or the front-wheel-drive figure 8 Championship at the Mason Fairgrounds. Sunday afternoon the MCSCC will be running on the south course of Autobahn, but because Nancy and I are planning on being in Cleveland the next morning, the south course at Autobahn will have to wait.

      I've seen 95 races at 90 different tracks so far this year. I'll probably get to 100 races, but I doubt if I will make 100 different tracks this year as the season is winding down quickly and with other activities, such as the Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame induction banquet, occupying my time, I won't have much time.

      Allan