Norfolk

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2006
      Greetings from your breadman,

      I just confirmed that the minicup cars are racing at Town Pointe
      Park in downtown Norfolk, VA at 2:00pm. Those not hooking up with the
      Eckel caravan may obtain all the necessary info at
      www.festeventsva.org. Admission is free, but parking will be found on
      municipal lots and garages nearby. Hope to see you there.

      Gordy
    • RPMGORDY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2006
        That would be on July 4. Will, is this senility thing catching?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2006
          Gordy,

          I'm afraid it may be. I think my desktop caught it from me
          last night as it suddenly nodded off in the middle of some
          spreadsheet work and I haven't been able to wake it up.
          Thank goodness I have my laptop anyway. I have no idea
          whether I'll be able to recover anything from the hard drive
          but if not, alot of stuff has been lost. Of course it's been
          quite awhile since I made a backup of anything important
          that was on it. I have to see about having it looked at and
          keep my fingers crossed I guess.

          Will

          > That would be on July 4. Will, is this senility thing catching?
        • Mike Leone
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
            #108 McKean County Raceway, East Smethport, PA (1/3-mile dirt) 6/29/06

            Never did I expect to be able to log McKean County in for their special
            Thursday night program with a 60% chance of rain and the radar showing
            scattered storms all around and even rain hitting the speedway later
            on.

            Despite the fact, the drive up was relatively rain-free with the
            exception of some showers through the Allegheny National Forest. The
            sky was dark to the west and north as I headed northeast to the speedway
            looking like I was bringing the rain with me. The few sprinkles of rain
            ended as I pulled into the parking at about 6:45.

            The show was scheduled to start at 7. The headlining ULMS Late Models
            took to the track at that time as it appeared they were the only class
            to hot lap. After the late models finished hot laps, the national
            anthem was played and the super stock heat races hit the speedway.

            Just a $10 admission was charged for the show which included a $2,500 to-
            win show for the ULMS Late Models plus super stocks, e-mods, street
            stocks, and 4-cylinder stocks. With the threatening weather, the crowd
            was fair at about 500 or so. Car counts were pretty good with 28 late
            models, 21 street stocks, 21 sportsman (e-mods), 19 4-cylinders, and 14
            super stocks (limited late models).

            After the completion of the two super stock, three street stock heats,
            and one late model heat the skies finally opened up. It really looked
            like the rain was going to set in for awhile and heavy at that, but
            surprisingly the rain was short-lived as the skies broke up.

            The track, which was already tacky, was even faster once it was run back
            in. Racing resumed at about 8:45 and the remainder of the heat races
            and the B main were completed. The heats were all good racing as 3 of
            the 4 late model heats came right down to the finish.

            After an intermission to groom the track, the super stocks were up first
            and their feature was cut from 25 to 20 laps. Randy Hall, who has
            dominated both the super stocks and e-mods, went on to victory. Hall
            has now won 4 of the 6 super stock features and 4 of the 5 e-mod
            features.

            The late model feature was moved up ahead of the street stocks. 24 cars
            took the green for the 35-lap event. David Scott led the first couple
            laps before Rick Briggs took over. Sprinkles began to fall on about lap
            6. Young Dave Hess, Jr., who has well over 100 career wins to his
            credit, came from the 5th starting spot and took the lead on lap 9.

            Bob Close, who started alongside Hess in 6th, charged to the front and
            passed Hess in lapped traffic on lap 19 as rain began to fall. As the
            laps ticked off in the 20s, the rain seemingly picked up in intensity
            every lap. The only saving grace was no yellows, but as the lap count
            approached 30 it appeared questionable whether the event would or should
            make it to the 35 scheduled laps.

            Todd Andrews began waving his hands to say that he could not see. On
            lap 33 some of the drivers began to slow and the yellow was displayed.
            Meanwhile on the backstretch, a lapped car got sideways and leader Bob
            Close drilled him at full tilt. Then Hess came in and hit both. It was
            one of the hardest impacts I've seen this year.

            What an unfortunate ending to such a great race. With it now pouring
            and the surface gone with the red flag, the show was rained out shortly
            after 10:30. The controversial ending saw the win given to Close with
            Hess second and Briggs third.

            Food prices were very reasonable as was the $10 admission and just $25
            pit pass, which was no where near enough with the crowd to cover the
            expenses. They had a nice program for $2 on sale. The relatively new
            large aluminum bleachers have seat backs.

            The racing was excellent. I think 2 heats would have sufficed for the
            stocks and e-mods and 3 for the late models. The intermission was a
            little lengthy with the forecast. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the
            track and racing. For the most part the officials did a good job
            keeping the show moving and were very professional at their jobs unlike
            many tracks. I was glad to see they cut the laps in the super stocks
            and moved the late models to second feature.

            The area is very scenic around the speedway and with the sun, clouds,
            and rain made for a pretty spectacular sky with the mountains in the
            background and even a rainbow present during the rain. The weather and
            cloud movement is very difficult to read as I can now see how they get
            many of their shows in, while others rain out.

            McKean County made for my 46th Pennsylvania track. I've now hit this
            year the 3 PA tracks I've been trying to get to for a long time now in
            Grandview, Hesston, and McKean County.

            #108 McKean County Speedway, 6/29/06
            #107 Hesston Speedway, 6/17/06
            #106 Grandview Speedway, 5/16/06

            ###
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
              The following is a message from someone named Scott in
              Massachusetts, which I am passing along to the group:

              i do something far different than go to the track these
              days, i
              trackchase but its different, i offen research old tracks
              that raced
              in the 40s 50s and 60s and see if i can see it using
              terraserver or
              windows live programs, i find it its a challange, i was a
              member on
              this board before but i think my account was removed for
              inactivty
              although ive been reading the boards from time to time.....
              but i
              like for you to share this with the group if can can......
              here as
              follows copy and paste it if ya like......

              rthyem inn speedway in millers falls ma -----operated from
              1959 - still there although on my most recent trip up there
              while on
              my way to get cigerates in NH i found a few things from the
              towns
              people about it, the track was closed because of noise and
              dust
              since the track was dirt, there was also a strip joint
              connected
              and used as a place for payouts, for those who know about
              creative
              accounting, this is a perfect setup because the story was
              told that
              once people were paided for racing, the money mever left the
              property, the strip joint burnt to the ground in 1966 ,
              although i
              did find evidence of broken cinder blocks and pipeing
              "copper" which
              was used for plumbing was found where this joint was but it
              might
              have been dumped there after 1966

              plainville speedway in plainville Ct, operated from early
              1950s
              untill around 1976-1977 area, it was a paved 1/3 mile oval
              and was
              there untill around 2001, i never been to the site but in
              1991 the
              aerials captured a image of the track with 4 groves in each
              corner of
              the track, story behind this was is when the track closed,
              gearheads like myself use to take there own cars and take
              hotlaps
              around the track, the owner that shut the track down did
              not want to
              get sued if anything happened so he personally dig holes in the
              track, the track sat on a property that had its own
              clubhouse and a
              drive-inn movie theater, i am told as of 2003 the clubhouse
              is still
              a bar, the owner is not known to have ties with the track,
              the track
              itself was town up in 2001 to put a movie theater and the
              old drive
              inn was converted into a home depot...... no signs of the track
              exist.....

              century statuim west spingfield ma route 147 - operated
              from 1951
              untill 1958, it was a dog track for awhile but in the very
              early 50s
              dog racing was banned so they converted the track for stock car
              racing, but with competion from the defunct riverside park
              speedway
              the track had no chance of surviing, it is now a bobs discount
              furiture store

              riverside park speedway route 159 - operated from 1948
              untill 1999
              closed in 1999 where it now has 2 rides sitting where the
              track
              was, the track was connected to riverside amusementpark/
              now 6 flags
              new england

              west haven speedway in west haven ct - operated from 1953 to
              1967
              simular what the riverside park speedway was, it was
              connected to a
              amusement park in the savin rock section of west haven, the
              track
              feature a very unusal layout, from the tipical oval layouts
              this was
              far from it, it had a simular layout of a baseball diamond
              "it did
              host a baseball team in the 1940s" the track is no longer
              viewable,
              the parking lot of the former speedway is just a open lot,
              while the
              speedway and amusement park was converted into small commerical
              bussinesses,

              pyhcon park springfield ma route 20 - raced there for 1
              year about
              in 1941 just before the war, but it was very well known to
              residents
              from surounding towns back in a day that it hosted a redsox
              farm
              team, the field was distoryed by fire and park of the park
              is now
              home of the hilltop steakhouse . other remain areas are
              unknown to
              me as in the layout of the land,

              westboro speedway westbourgh ma route 9 - operated from
              1984, probally one of the most under-rated track that was
              in the
              area for a long time, but the price tag for the land was
              too high
              too pass off and the track was sold and torn down in 1985,
              it now is
              where the "speedway mall" is located today

              lakeville speedway aka golden spur speedway in lakeville ma
              - year of
              opening is unclear to me, but its last race was in 1975,
              in a topo
              aerial map it showed 3 tracks on the site with the bigger of
              the 3
              used mostly, im thinking the 2 others were smaller scaled
              racing
              like gocarts or even dog racing back in the days, as of
              2002 it is
              still viewable 1 track was delevoped "2 smaller tracks were
              north
              and south of the the bigger one used for stock car racing,
              the north
              one seems to be a condo complex now" i was looking to see
              how far
              this track is to belchertown, a whopping 1 hour 45 mins"
              its south
              of boston, from what i am told is that the VFW is off the
              side of
              1 of the turns, it is not clear of they ran the track when
              it was
              open......

              west brattleboro speedway in west brattleboro off of VT 9 -
              operated
              from the 1955 area untill 1963, there was 4 tracks in this
              immedate
              area that was 20 mins from each other in the 50s and they
              were this
              one, millers falls, cheshire fairgrounds in kenne nh, and
              hinsdale "when dog racing was banned they used the half mile
              oval on
              the grounds of the current track" at 1st thought you would
              have
              thought 4 tracks so close would cause a over satuation in
              the area
              when it came to tracks, it is unclear why this track
              closed, it is
              now a trailer park, the aerial shot in the general area
              shows 2
              tracks, but dont get fooled, they were horsetracks and
              cars never
              raced on those

              hinsdale nh - see above - cars stopped racing in the late
              50s when
              the dog racing ban was lifted

              cheshire fairgrounds kenne nh route 12, racing ended around
              the mid
              60s, aerial shot does provide a partcal layout but its hard
              to see
              all of it

              danbury fairgrounds danbury CT off of I84 - started off as a
              horsetrack in the early 1900s but stock cars began to race
              there in
              the 40s, racing ended in 1981 and torn down in 1983 and
              is now the
              fairgrounds mall

              this is just the list off the top of my head , and there is
              a few
              more i think, there is 2 tracks that i am seeking
              infomation about,
              cheery park speedway in avon ct, and bridgeport
              speedway/candelight
              statuim in bridgemort ct, is there any info on themn on
              landmarks
              near where these tracks are ????
            • Bruce Eckel
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                Gordy,

                They upped the starting time from the last time (May 9th) when I
                sent a note to Cindy Phillips from Arena Racing. It was 4 PM. Guess we
                will just have to leave a little earlier and maybe after the race sample
                some of the local cuisine.

                Bruce

                I just confirmed that the minicup cars are racing at Town Pointe
                Park in downtown Norfolk, VA at 2:00pm. Those not hooking up with the
                Eckel caravan may obtain all the necessary info at
                www.festeventsva.org. Admission is free, but parking will be found on
                municipal lots and garages nearby. Hope to see you there.

                Gordy

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Bruce Eckel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                  Will,

                  Are you making the trip to Norfolk with us???? Seems that we now
                  have 6 so if you want to go with us, Mike and his three will have to use a
                  second vehicle.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                    Bruce,

                    I'd love to join you but I am hoping to go to Ona on Monday
                    night, so I'll be heading to Norfolk from there on Tuesday
                    morning. I'll be bringing my Great Britain Road Atlas along
                    to lend to you for your England trip, unless you can get
                    Gordy to bring you the one I loaned to him in 2001. At 10
                    cents per day late charge, Gordy currently owes me $194.50
                    for the atlas.

                    See you in Norfolk,
                    Will

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006

                      As I told Bruce and Pat last month, for all you guys going to Norfolk,
                      don't bother saving a seat in the bleachers unless it's the top row.
                      Last year people sat there in the sweltering heat for hours watching
                      practice and lame mini cup time trials, while the heat races were
                      canceled. Then when they finally had their lone race, hundreds of
                      people that were in the park for the festivities walked over and stood
                      all along the fence and prevented the people in the bleachers from
                      seeing. It was wall to wall people along the fence, and nobody did
                      anything about it. Luckily, I had a spot in the top row to stand up
                      and video over the standing people.

                      Guy

                      PS: Go hungry. Lots of great (but expensive) food vendors. After the
                      races there is live music and fireworks, for those interested in that
                      sort of thing.
                      and IM. All on demand. Always Free.